Burglaries down as arrests increase

first_imgEmail NewsLocal NewsBurglaries down as arrests increaseBy admin – December 7, 2012 613 WhatsApp Facebook Linkedin DESPITE a perceived increase in rural crime and property thefts in particular, the latest crime statistics figures indicate that the number of reported burglaries is down 20 per cent on last year as Limerick Gardaí continue their campaign against burglars. Sgt Brian Broderick of the Crime Prevention Unit attached to Henry Street Garda Station said that a number of arrests were made last week in connection with six burglaries at both residential and commercial office properties in Limerick.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up Thefts of cash, jewellery and electrical items were reported from four residential addresses and a commercial premises on Sexton Street was ransacked by intruders and eight people were arrested in connection with the criminal activity between Tuesday and Thursday of last week.Two 24-year-old men were detained in connection with the burglaries and one man in his 30s was arrested at the scene of one of the reported burglaries in the suburbs of the city.All eight were charged and are currently due before the courts.As Gardaí continue to target criminal activity throughout the county, figures indicate that the number of burglaries is down 20 percent over this time last year. However they are asking business owners and the general public to remain vigilant and ensure that their homes and business premises have adequate security measures in place over the Christmas period.Gardai are warning that it is a time for opportunist type thefts and urge people not to take chances with their property.center_img Previous articleLimerick medical companies contribute to exports increaseNext articleSouthill quilt launched by ‘The Governor’ admin Print Twitter Advertisementlast_img read more

Ocean City Mayoral Candidate Wants to Put Brakes on Parking Problem

first_imgThe yellow line on 10th Street at the intersection of Simpson Avenue designates a no-parking zone near the stop sign. By Donald WittkowskiOcean City mayoral candidate John Flood believes he has a way to help ease the parking crunch that forces drivers to spend “many hours circling the block” in search of open spaces.Flood, a former councilman who is challenging Mayor Jay Gillian in the May 8 municipal election, said his plan would create more than 750 parking spaces at little or no additional cost to the city.“As I am walking the city and knocking on doors, I find the one thing most people in Ocean City continue to agree on is the need for more parking,” Flood said in a press release Thursday. “I have watched the mayor and Council kick this around for years, talk about parking garages, etc. And while we continue to struggle and spend many hours circling the block looking for a parking space, it seems there may be a very simple solution for little or no cost.”He wants Ocean City to take advantage of a New Jersey law that gives municipalities the option of reducing the distance that is required for parking spaces near stop signs from 50 feet to 25 feet.“Currently, the state of New Jersey has set the distance you are allowed to park from a stop sign at 50 feet,” Flood said. “Relief may now be on the horizon, as in 2010 the state passed an amendment to the law giving municipalities the option by local ordinance where they can reduce the distance to 25 feet. It doesn’t appear that Ocean City may be taking full advantage of this option.”There are restrictions, however. A municipality is not allowed to have parking within 25 feet of a crosswalk or side line of a street or intersecting highway, or within 50 feet of a stop sign in a school zone during hours when school is in session, according to the law.Flood said in the press release outlining his proposal that the city should waste no time exploring the 25-foot parking option. He said he would act on it immediately if elected mayor.“One of my first acts as mayor will be to present this opportunity to Council and the public for their consideration, discussion and input,” he said. “We could create an ordinance that would allow Ocean City to take advantage of this law. That would be the first step in the way the process should work.”Mayoral candidate John Flood says his proposal would create more than 750 new parking spaces at little or no cost to the city.Ocean City’s parking shortage becomes particularly acute during the summer vacation season, when the town swells with tens of thousands of tourists.Flood said his plan could potentially create new parking spaces in town wherever there are stop signs. He noted that parking spaces are 20 feet long.“That may not sound like a lot but on an island where every space counts, it helps,” he said. “This could create upwards of 750 additional spaces island-wide at no cost to the taxpayer and save gallons of yellow paint.”In an interview, Flood said it is not his intention to create more parking spaces to generate extra revenue for the city. Depending on their location, some of the new spaces could have parking meters, but most would be free across the city, he explained.“It would be tip to tip, beach to bay,” he said of the new parking spaces created throughout town under his proposal.last_img read more

Ronkonkoma Armed Home Invasion Probed

first_imgSign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York Suffolk County police are investigating an armed home invasion in Ronkonkoma on Monday night, authorities said.Two men entered a Boulder Street home, displayed a gun, demanded cash from at least one victim inside and fled with stolen money at about 9 p.m., police said.Authorities noted that the suspects neither barricaded themselves in the house nor took any hostages, despite a miscommunication indicating otherwise after the initial 911 call.There were no injuries, arrests or description of the suspects.Fourth Squad detectives are continuing the investigation and ask anyone with information on this case to call them at 631-854-8452 or Crime Stoppers at 631-220-TIPS.last_img

TrizecHahn Euro-head quits as Mayfair HQ goes on market

first_imgTo access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week. Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletterslast_img

In big shift, Pope names 6 women to Vatican financial oversight body

first_imgStill, Thursday’s new appointments marked the largest number of women named at one time to Vatican posts.The previously all-male Council for the Economy consists of 15 posts. One cardinal is the coordinator and the 14 other posts are divided evenly among members of the clergy and lay people.The seven-member lay portion now consists of six women and one man. Of the six women, two each are from Britain, Spain and Germany. The sole male lay member is Italian.One of the Britons, Leslie Jane Ferrar, was treasurer to Prince Charles from 2015 to 2017 and now holds a number of non-executive and trustee roles, the Vatican said. Pope Francis has appointed six women, including the former treasurer for Britain’s Prince Charles, to the council that oversees Vatican finances, naming them in one fell swoop to some of the most senior roles.The appointments to one of the Holy See’s most important offices marked the latest attempt by the pope to keep promises to improve gender balance made years ago but which women’s groups have said were too slow in being realized.Francis has already appointed women as deputy foreign minister, director of the Vatican Museums, and deputy head of the Vatican Press Office, as well as four women as councilors to the Synod of Bishops, which prepares major meetings. The other, Ruth May Kelly, served as secretary of state for education and for transport, and as minister for women and equality, in Britain’s former Labor government from 2004-2008.The other four women have backgrounds in business, banking and academia.Francis established the Council for the Economy, which oversees budgets and sets policy, in 2014 as an international body to oversee often-troubled Vatican finances.The new council is starting its work as the coronavirus pandemic has hit the Vatican’s finances hard, forcing it to dip into reserve funds and implement some of the toughest cost control measures ever in the tiny city state. center_img Topics :last_img read more