Advertisement Limerick schools asked to show Racism the Red Card RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Facebook Print Linkedin TAGSschools Email Twitter NewsEducationSchool bus service axed without warningBy Editor – September 8, 2016 835 Schools and colleges to close on Thursday and Friday Bishop says Limerick is not living up to its obligations to migrants Limerick school surprised with wild card for Junk Kouture finals Previous articleLocal businesses urged to support bereavement serviceNext articleFormer Limerick senator told to leave court with his sliotar Editor WhatsApp Bord na Móna encourages more schools to join Eco Rangers programme 142 Limerick schools benefit from minor works scheme A bus service used by a thousand Limerick students has been withdrawn without any prior warning.The Shannon Banks to Westbury service, which has been in operation for almost 40 years, was cancelled by Bus Éireann last week.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up On Monday morning last (August 29) school-bound passengers were informed by their driver that the service would be discontinued at the end of the week.Responding to requests from irate parents Fianna Fáil Councillor, Cathal Crowe, contacted the transport company but without success.“I did what I could and had many phone conversations with Bus Éireann’s Regional Management team throughout the week.”“They promised me that I would be provided with a letter explaining their decision on Tuesday but it wasn’t until Friday afternoon that I received an email from. By then it was too late to respond as the bus had already completed its last journey.”The email received by Cllr Crowe stated that to compensate for the cancelled service, improvements had been made to the 301 bus service which serves Raheen and the city centre.“A service will leave Westbury at 07.50hrs so passengers will have a scheduled service close to the existing 07.55 hrs time,” the email read.“Students traveling on this service to the Crescent Comprehensive School can alight at the Crescent Shopping Centre Stop which is a short walk from the school. Those attending schools off O’Connell Avenue can disembark at Mallow Street or alternatively board the 304 service that operates every 15 minutes from the City Centre to Raheen via O’Connell Avenue,” the email continued.In response Cllr Crowe alluded to a rumour circulating among “angry” parents that the service had been axed as it was not licensed by the Transport Infrastructure Ireland (TII).The Fianna Fáil councillor urged Bus Éireann to clarify this “as soon as possible” so that the service could be reinstated.
With Bruce Springsteen making headlines for cancelling a performance in North Carolina over the controversial HB2 law, many artists scheduled to play in the state have been reconsidering their performances. Mumford & Sons took a more active approach to protesting the law, by not only playing a sold out show at the Time Warner Center Arena but donating their profits to a local organization that supports LGBTQ rights.Read the band’s full statement below:Dear friends,We will be playing a show tomorrow in Charlotte, and recent events in North Carolina have got us talking a lot as a band the last few days, so we felt compelled to say something in advance to you.As a band that relishes welcoming everyone to our shows and promoting tolerance, we do want to take a stand with the people of North Carolina who this week are shouting loudly against intolerance, fear and discrimination.Over the years we’ve looked for ways to contribute to the vitality of local communities and, in that spirit, we’re now creating a charitable fund to support those who have made it their mission to pursue love and justice. We will be donating all of our profits from this show to this new fund. And we will start by making a donation from it to a local LGBTQ organisation.As always, we will open the doors to our show to anyone who wants to come, and are excited to get down with the people of Charlotte.M, B, W & T
GRAND CHUTE, Wis. (AP) — A teen wanted in connection with the fatal shooting at a mall in eastern Wisconsin has been arrested in Iowa. The Grand Chute Police Department announced U.S. Marshals arrested 17-year-old Dezman Ellis on Thursday in Des Moines, Iowa. Ellis’ arrest comes days after authorities say he fatally shot 19-year-old Jovanni Frausto, of Neenah, and wounded another person inside the Fox River Mall outside Appleton. Outagamie County prosecutors say the shooting Sunday came after the two began arguing over a girl who was with Ellis. The shooting forced crowds of people to shelter in place inside the mall. Outagamie County prosecutors filed charges of first-degree intentional homicide and first-degree recklessly endangering safety against Ellis on Tuesday.