Burglaries down as arrests increase

first_imgEmail NewsLocal NewsBurglaries down as arrests increaseBy admin – December 7, 2012 613 WhatsApp Facebook Linkedin DESPITE a perceived increase in rural crime and property thefts in particular, the latest crime statistics figures indicate that the number of reported burglaries is down 20 per cent on last year as Limerick Gardaí continue their campaign against burglars. Sgt Brian Broderick of the Crime Prevention Unit attached to Henry Street Garda Station said that a number of arrests were made last week in connection with six burglaries at both residential and commercial office properties in Limerick.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up Thefts of cash, jewellery and electrical items were reported from four residential addresses and a commercial premises on Sexton Street was ransacked by intruders and eight people were arrested in connection with the criminal activity between Tuesday and Thursday of last week.Two 24-year-old men were detained in connection with the burglaries and one man in his 30s was arrested at the scene of one of the reported burglaries in the suburbs of the city.All eight were charged and are currently due before the courts.As Gardaí continue to target criminal activity throughout the county, figures indicate that the number of burglaries is down 20 percent over this time last year. However they are asking business owners and the general public to remain vigilant and ensure that their homes and business premises have adequate security measures in place over the Christmas period.Gardai are warning that it is a time for opportunist type thefts and urge people not to take chances with their property.center_img Previous articleLimerick medical companies contribute to exports increaseNext articleSouthill quilt launched by ‘The Governor’ admin Print Twitter Advertisementlast_img read more

Ferdinand hails Liverpool star but prefers Vidic as defensive partner

first_imgRio Ferdinand has admitted his ‘love’ for Liverpool’s Virgil Van Dijk but said he would choose his former Manchester United team-mate Nemanja Vidic as his defensive partner. The 41-year-old took part in an Instagram Q&A and was asked to pick between a prime Van Dijk and a prime Vidic. Rio Ferdinand was asked to choose a prime Nemanja Vidic or Virgil Van Dijk as his partner The BT sport pundit found it difficult to make a decision but predictably opted for his old friend. ‘Prime van Dijk or prime Vidic? Ooooh, good question,’ he said. ‘I’ve got to go with Vidic because he was my partner, man. He was my partner. He covered my back and I covered his. That was it. Ferdinand and Vidic built a formidable partnership in their eight years together at Old TraffordAdvertisement Read Also: Pogba: Man Utd re-open Raiola talks in bid to find solution Ferdinand and Vidic built a formidable partnership under Sir Alex Ferguson, winning five Premier League titles and a Champions League trophy. But Van Dijk has become one of the best defenders in world football and was the runner up behind Lionel Messi at the 2019 Ballon d’Or in December. FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 Loading… ‘I love van Dijk, don’t get me wrong. I love him. Best defender in the world now, definitely. ‘I’d love to have seen him play in our time, seen what he was about. That would have been interesting. But top player.’ Promoted ContentWhich Country Is The Most Romantic In The World?11 Most Immersive Game To Play On Your Table TopThe Absolute 10 Greatest Shows In HBO HistoryTraditional Wedding Outfits In Different CountriesBest & Worst Celebrity Endorsed Games Ever Made10 Risky Jobs Some Women Do10 Largest Cities In The World7 Universities Where Getting An Education Costs A Hefty Penny2020 Tattoo Trends: Here’s What You’ll See This YearThe Best Cars Of All TimeWho Earns More Than Ronaldo?9 Facts You Should Know Before Getting A Tattoolast_img read more

GCQ in Iloilo Province: What businesses are allowed to operate?

first_img* manufacturing/processing of basic food products * mining and quarrying * services in the personal care industry, such as, barber shops and beauty parlors, provided that only haircut and other similar essential personal care services shall be allowed;  services involving substantial physical contact such as massage and manicure shall not be allowed * amusement and gaming establishments * those providing other basic necessities (ex. agricultural supply stores, hardware stores, auto supplies, gasoline stations, liquefied petroleum gas) Under Section 11 of Defensor’s Executive Order No. imposing the GCQ, the following are not allowed to operate: * establishments in the tourism and recreation industry * public utilities providing for power, energy, water, telecommunications, information technology, and waste management * agriculture, fisheries and forestry * those providing food/water and other related necessities * professional services, such as, but not limited to legal services, accounting and auditing services; and scientific and technical services * logistics service providers/common carriers, engaged in cargo handling, warehousing and freight hauling/forwarding * shopping centers and malls * fitness establishments Hotels and similar establishments for accommodation are also prohibited from operating. However, they may accept the following: foreign guests who have existing booking accommodations as of May 1, 2020; guests who have existing long-term bookings; distressed overseas Filipinos workers (OFWs) and stranded Filipinos or foreign nationals; repatriated OFWs in compliance with approved quarantine measures; and non-OFWs who may be required to undergo mandatory facility-based quarantine. * non-essential, non-leisure wholesale and/or retail establishments * business and knowledge process outsourcing companies * companies/firms engaged in the manufacturing/processing of export productscenter_img * veterinary clinics He, however, stressed that social distancing measures must be shall be observed. The list of businesses and industries that may now operate has gotten longer as Gov. Arthur Defensor Jr. further reduced the number of those still prohibited from reopening. * services providing for health needs (ex. hospitals, medical facilities and laboratories) * essential public and private construction projects, such as, but not limited to, sewerage, water services facilities, health facilities, and such other priority projects ILOILO – This province starts being under a general community quarantine (GCQ) today until May 31 unless extended or lifted earlier. Defensor stressed the importance of stimulating the province’s economy now after two months of quarantine, and what better way to do this than by reopening businesses? * establishments in the leisure industry * media * those providing essential health/medical hygiene products What are these prohibited establishments? What are these businesses and industries? * other essential services, such as postal and courier services; repair and installation of machinery and equipment; leasing and rental of machineries and equipment; repair of IT equipment and other essential household appliances; security services; laundry services; funeral services * financial services providers, such as (banks, stock markets, credit facilities, pawnshops, money transfer services; and payment and remittance centers “If the economy is not functioning, the community quarantine won’t be sustainable and it will not be effective,” explained Defensor. He described as a “bigger challenge” the recovery of the local economy “while implementing effective quarantine measures.”/PNlast_img read more

Buhari draws attention to hardship faced by retired para powerlifters as World Cup begins

first_imgRelatedPosts Hanan Buhari’s wedding cartoon, current experience of Nigerians – Daily Trust Cartoonist Daily Trust cartoonist under fire for Hanan Buhari’s wedding cartoon Quadri Aruna leads Africa to World Cup First Lady, Federal Republic of Nigeria, Aisha Buhari, has drawn attention to the plight of retired para powerlifters and other athletes in Nigeria, many of whom retire into hardship after having served their country superlatively. Buhari said this during the opening ceremony of the Abuja 2020 Para Powerlifting World Cup on Tuesday at the International Conference Center. Hajia Buhari said: “I have since observed the contribution of these athletes in reshaping the image of Nigeria with immense significance and the Country owes them a debt of gratitude.” She called on the nation to start repaying this debt by ensuring they are well taken care of in their time of need. She said: “It is in this light, that my foundation, the Aisha Buhari Foundation, and other developmental partners will soon unveil a programme that will aim to make retired athletes welfare a great priority. “I also believe that it was these athletes’ dedication to hardwork and discipline that won the Country the hosting rights for this competition, being a qualifier for the 2020 Tokyo Paralympic Games.” Speaking on her involvement, the First Lady said her interest in the wellbeing of the underprivileged led to establishing the Aisha Buhari Foundation and Future Assured and her acceptance to be grand patron of the event. She congratulated the organisers of the event and called on Nigerians to support Team Nigeria, otherwise known as: The unstoppables. Hajia Buhari also welcomed teams from other countries and encouraged them to enjoy their stay in Nigeria. The Deputy Governor of Enugu State, Hon. Cecelia Ezeilo, said she had always been a sports enthusiast and that is why she accepted to be the grant matron of the Para Powerlifting Team and felt a sense of duty to organize a fund raising for the event, which turned out successful. EZeilo called on the organizers to ensure successful conduct of the event. The Minister of Youth and Sports, Sunday Dare, said the Para Powerlifting World Cup is significant to Nigeria as it provided the opportunity to implement several related events, including a referee training, coaches training, loaders course and anti-doping seminar. Dare wished the athletes success in the competition. He thanked the First Lady for the show of support to the competition, and extraordinary passion for sports in general. The Minister of State, FCT, who was represented by the Ministry’s Permanent Secretary, Chijeaka Ohaa, reiterated the commitment of the FCT Administration towards the successful hosting of the World Cup as it provides an opportunity to showcase the tourism potential of the Country. Others who spoke at the occasion included the President, Nigeria Para Powerlifting Federation, Queen Uboh Idris, who welcomed members of the international Paralympic Committee and all the countries contingents. Idris stated that Nigeria was ready for the competition and will not only host but will host well. She also expressed gratitude to the First Lady for all the support she has given as grand patron to the competition and as Mother of the Nation. Part of the highlights of the event was the presentation of sporting kits to Team Nigeria by the Executive Secretary, National Lottery Trust Fund, Dr. Bello Maigari. The opening ceremony was attended by Ghana, Cote d’Ivoire, Mali, Guinea, Guinea Bissau, Egypt, Italy, Libya, Brazil, Georgia, Kenya, Benin Republic and Nigeria. The First Lady was accompanied to the opening ceremony by the Wife of the Vice President, Dolapo Osinbajo, and several wives of the State Governors among others.Tags: 2020 Para-Powerlifting World CupAisha BuhariAisha Buhari FoundationPara powerlifersWorld Cuplast_img read more

Cricket News Kurtis Patterson added to Australia squad for two-Test series against Sri Lanka

first_imgSpeaking about his selection to ESPNCricinfo, Patterson said he had no expectations coming out of the game in Hobart. “You want to be picked when playing well and I feel I am. Obviously, there’s some hard work to be done this week, but if I get that opportunity, I’ll be really looking forward to it,” Patterson said.Patterson’s addition continues the selection of a new crop of batsmen in the Test squad following the bans on Steve Smith and David Warner. Will Puckovski, Marnus Labuschange and Marcus Harris are the new bunch of youngsters to get a chance in the series against Sri Lanka which will begin with the Day-Night Test in Brisbane on Thursday. The series will end with the second Test at Australia’s newest Test venue in Canberra.For Sri Lanka, they will be aiming to break their jinx Down Under and secure their first-ever win in a Test in Australia. However, they have been in woeful form heading to Australia, having not won a single game in New Zealand and recently being whitewashed 3-0 at home against England. Their chances have taken a bigger hit with seamer Nuwan Pradeep ruled out of the series due to a hamstring injury.Pradeep, who has been suffering from hamstring injuries and has not played a Test since October 2017, bowled only two overs and did not play any further part in the warm-up game in Hobart and scans revealed a grade one strain on his hamstring muscle, putting him in doubt even for the three Tests against South Africa after the Australia tour. New Delhi: Kurtis Patterson, the left-hander who played a vital part for the Australia U-19 team during the 2012 edition, slammed 157* and 102* in the warm-up game for Cricket Australia against Sri Lanka in Hobart. Although this match did not have First-Class status, Greg Chappell, the national selector and Australia skipper Tim Paine were in attendance and impressed by the knocks, Patterson was drafted as the 14th member of the Australia side for the two-Tests against Sri Lanka. National selector Trevor Hohns said Patterson had been “pushing his case for selection for some time”.  “We have been asking batters around the country to score hundreds if they want to be considered for selection.  Given Kurtis’ consistent performances for NSW and his two unbeaten centuries in last week’s tour match against our upcoming opponent, Sri Lanka, we believe he deserves to be added to the Test squad,” Hohns said in a statement.Australia had a poor Test series with the bat against India and no Australian reached triple figures at home in a series of four Tests or more for the first time since 1882-83. They also lost a Test series at home to an Asian nation for the first time. Patterson’s performances are a continuation of the consistency he has shown in the last couple of games, where he smashed 107* and 43 against Western Australia and 45 against South Australia playing for New South Wales. Earlier, Patterson had scored 167 in a New South Wales Premier Cricket Game. highlights Kurtis Patterson was part of U-19 squad for 2012 World Cup.Sri Lanka have never won a Test in Australia.Nuwan Pradeep out of series due to a hamstring problem. For all the Latest Sports News News, Cricket News News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps.last_img read more