Watch Phish’s Performance Of “Exile On Main St” With Sharon Jones, Horn Section

first_imgJust months after Phish reunited, the band made their way to the Empire Polo Ground in Indio, CA for Festival 8. Not only was it Phish’s first festival since reforming, but the festival also included a performance on Halloween night. The anticipation rose as fans guessed what Phish would pull out for their musical costume set, and the band defied expectations with a full performance of The Rolling Stones’ pivotal 1972 album, Exile On Main St.To properly recreate the album, the band brought on a three-piece horn section, with Dave Guy on trumpet, David Smith on trombone, and Tony Jarvis on saxophone, as well as vocalists Sharon Jones and Saundra Williams. From “Rocks Off” through “Soul Survivor” and everything in between, the soul-drenched rock album serves as a classic moment in Phish history.In honor of Ms. Sharon Jones today, set aside some time to watch Phish rock out Exile On Main St.You can also watch some selected footage from this show as well, including “Loving Cup” and the final song of the performance, an encore rendition of “Suzy Greenberg” with horns and vocal accompaniment. Setlist (via 1: Sample in a Jar, Divided Sky, Lawn Boy, Kill Devil Falls, Bathtub Gin, The Squirming Coil, Runaway Jim > Possum, Run Like an Antelope[1]SET 2: Rocks Off[2] > Rip This Joint[2], Shake Your Hips[2], Casino Boogie[3], Tumbling Dice[4], Sweet Virginia[5], Torn and Frayed[3], Sweet Black Angel[2], Loving Cup[5], Happy[4], Turd on the Run[4], Ventilator Blues[4] -> I Just Want To See His Face[6] > Let It Loose[4], All Down the Line[4], Stop Breaking Down[4], Shine a Light[4], Soul Survivor[4]SET 3: Backwards Down the Number Line > Fluffhead > Ghost, When the Circus Comes, You Enjoy MyselfENCORE: Suzy Greenberg[5][1] Lyrics changed to “Been you to have any Coil?”[2] Phish debut; Dave Guy on trumpet, David Smith on trombone, and Tony Jarvis on saxophone.[3] Phish debut.[4] Phish debut; Sharon Jones and Saundra Williams on backup vocals, Dave Guy on trumpet, David Smith on trombone, and Tony Jarvis on saxophone.[5] Sharon Jones and Saundra Williams on backup vocals, Dave Guy on trumpet, David Smith on trombone, and Tony Jarvis on saxophone.[6] Phish debut; Sharon Jones and Saundra Williams on backup vocals.This show was part of the three-show Festival 8. Playbills were distributed on-site (beginning at 12:30 p.m., 8 hours in advance) confirming that the second set (the band’s “musical costume”) would be the Rolling Stones’ Exile on Main St. After Divided Sky, Trey acknowledged the beauty of the venue and announced that Page would now play a love song to the lawn since it was the first time they had played on grass in a long time. Antelope’s lyrics were changed to “Been you to have any Coil, man?” (The Coil was an art installation on the venue grounds.) Set 2 began with a video highlighting selections of the 99 classic albums displayed and then systematically eliminated on the web site leading up to the festival. Selections in the montage included snippets from Michael Jackson’s Thriller, T.Rex’s Electric Warrior, Metallica’s Master of Puppets, Miles Davis’s A Tribute to Jack Johnson, Fleetwood Mac’s Rumours and The Doors (self titled), among others. All of the Exile on Main St songs were Phish debuts, except for Loving Cup and Sweet Virginia. All songs in the second set except for Casino Boogie, Torn and Frayed, and I Just Want To See His Face featured Dave Guy on trumpet, David Smith on trombone, and Tony Jarvis on saxophone. Tumbling Dice, Sweet Virginia, and Loving Cup through Soul Survivor also featured Sharon Jones and Saundra Williams on backup vocals. Trey introduced the horn section after Tumbling Dice and again after the completion of the costume, before saying “We are the Rolling Stones. See you later.” Suzy Greenberg was played with Jones, Williams, and the horns. This show featured the first Sweet Virginia since September 26, 1999 (173 shows).last_img read more

Ancient mariner sets sail from St Maarten to Bahamas

first_imgThe raft ’An-Tiki’ sets out for The BahamasPHILIPSBURG, St Maarten — An 86-year-old grandfather and a plucky crew of over-50s recently set sail from St Maarten in the Caribbean, bound for the Bahamas, on a raft made from water pipes. They hope to raise £50,000 for the international charity WaterAid.Writer and explorer Anthony Smith last year made history by crossing the Atlantic Ocean on the raft ’An-Tiki’, travelling 2,600 miles in 66 days. Smith and his three-man crew of ‘mature and intrepid gentlemen’ arrived safely in St Maarten on 6 April 2011, proving you’re never too old to have an adventure. However, they had been blown off course from their destination, the island of Eleuthera in The Bahamas. One year on and the former BBC Tomorrow’s World presenter and science correspondent, together with a new band of senior sailors, is attempting to complete the expedition. The crew consists of two men and two women aged from 50 to 62: Husband and wife Leigh and Nigel Gallager, from Boston; Ali Porteous from Uganda; and Bruno Sellmer from Brazil. The voyage is expected to take around four to five weeks and a further 700 miles.Eleuthera is where, in 1940, a small lifeboat called the ‘Jolly Boat’ finally landed after 70 days sailing across the Atlantic Ocean. It had been launched from a British merchant ship, the SS Anglo Saxon, after its sinking by a German vessel. By the time the boat made landfall, only two of the seven survivors were still alive. Emaciated and dehydrated, they had barely sustained themselves with long-exhausted supplies and intermittent rainfall.In the late 1990s, Smith was instrumental in securing the Jolly Boat for the Imperial War Museum in London and wrote a book about the survivors. By arriving at the same island as they did, he hopes to pay tribute to the sacrifices of the Merchant Navy during WWII.“There is a particular beach in the Bahamas I have in mind where two heroes of mine, two British sailors spent more time on their lifeboat than anybody else, after leaving their boat. I just want to land there,” said Smith. The An-Tiki voyage is also raising awareness and funds for the charity WaterAid, which works with some of the world’s poorest communities to improve access to safe water, sanitation and hygiene. One of the crew’s final tasks before setting sail was to fill five of the raft’s 18ft cross-pipes with fresh water for drinking, cooking and washing. “Without food a man takes 60 days to die. Without water he lasts a quarter of that time. On An-Tiki we will have ample water for our needs, yet millions of people around the world are living in places without an adequate supply,” he continued.On his 86th birthday last month, Smith was delighted to receive a motor for his raft, from the shipping company Budget Marine. The engine will help steer An-Tiki northwest against northeast winds. He aims to prove, in this next leg of the adventure, that a raft can be navigated.An-Tiki required only minor maintenance to make it seaworthy. To make the repairs, the ten tonne structure was lifted out of Simpson Bay with the help of a Sea-Lift and St Maarten Shipyard. “We were pleasantly surprised to find her in good shape, having withstood the ravages of sea water, weather and time very well,” he added.The An-Tiki raft adventure began back in 2010 when Smith took out an advertisement in the Daily Telegraph. It read: “Fancy rafting across the Atlantic? Famous traveller requires 3 crew. Must be OAP. Serious adventurers only.”An-Tiki takes its name from the famous Kon-Tiki, the raft used by Norwegian explorer Thor Heyerdahl to cross the Pacific Ocean in 1947.Caribbean News Now Share LifestyleTravel Ancient mariner sets sail from St Maarten to Bahamas by: – April 18, 2012 Share Tweetcenter_img 49 Views   no discussions Sharing is caring! Sharelast_img read more

CIRSA focuses on Spanish reopening following Q1 wipeout

first_img Winamax maintains Granada CF sponsorship despite bleak Spanish outlook August 19, 2020 Related Articles Share Andrea Vota – Jdigital’s challenge of Spanish restrictions is led by logic and rationale August 13, 2020 Martin Lycka – Regulatory high temperatures cancel industry’s ‘silly season’ August 11, 2020 Submit CIRSA has reported that strong January and February growth was wiped-out by Coronavirus circumstances, which forced the Spanish gambling operator to shut down its entire retail gambling presence.The Blackstone Group owned operator reported that company performance had been in-line with expectations until March, as Q1 operating revenues declined by 6% to €355 million.Publishing its top-line results, CIRSA revealed that group Q1 operating profits fell by 14% to €89m as COVID-19 headwinds have interrupted all core CIRSA business units.Tracking the period 8-25 March, CIRSA was forced to shut down its entire operating presence across eight separate jurisdictions.At present, CIRSA’s only active business unit is Spanish online sportsbook Sportium, whose performance has been disrupted by the postponement of 2020’s global sports calendar.This June, CIRSA will restart its Spanish retail operations, in which the company seeks to return as many of its ERTE (furloughed) 4,400 (84% of workforce) back to work.“Given the exceptional social and economic situation, management focuses on safeguarding the sustainability of the Company, managing the decisions that protect its future in the short, medium and long term, including measures relating to the liquidity and solvency of the company and reducing operating costs,” said CIRSA management. StumbleUpon Sharelast_img read more