Advertisement NewsLocal NewsSolicitor avoids conviction with €1,000 charity paymentBy admin – October 23, 2012 473 Linkedin Print Facebook A PROMINENT Limerick solicitor has avoided a criminal conviction for assault after he made a donation of €1,000 to the Society of St Vincent de Paul. The facts of the case against 50-year-old John Devane, with a practice on Quinlan Street, had been earlier proven before Judge Patrick Clyne at Limerick District Court on June 9, 2011. Evidence was heard of how he had “thrown a headbutt” and grabbed fellow solicitor John Herbert by the throat during “an exchange of words” outside Limerick District Court last year.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up John Herbert told the court of how he was assaulted by John Devane after he refused an offer to “forget about” an earlier incident between them two weeks earlier as he felt “it was not made in earnest”. He said he had his hands in his pockets at all times and said it was “preposterous and a lie” that he pushed John Devane.The court heard that Mr Devane was irate and agitated and a witness, Paul O’Dwyer, saw the two standing in the foyer of the courthouse with Mr Devane saying “who do you think you are? You will not bully me like you did last week?”Mr Devane told the court that the relationship between the two was not “amicable” and there was a lot of tension between them.Judge Clyne said he was satisfied that something happened and that the assault occurred. He said he would dismiss the case if he made a €1,000 contribution to St Vincent de Paul before October 18 and last week, the court was notified that the payment had been made.After proceedings, State solicitor, Michael Murray said he had specific instructions from the DPP that the court should either convict Mr Devane and have the proceedings struck out or have the matter dismissed under the Probation Act.However, Judge Clyne said that the case was closed and he had made his decision Twitter WhatsApp Email Previous articleDrug driver banned for six yearsNext articleMan pleads guilty to dangerous driving resulting in death of 16-year-old admin
12 July 2005A R150-million investment could turn a poor community of 5 000 households into one of the richest in Mpumalanga’s Nkomazi region.The Lugedlane community was recently given the 3 852-hectare Ludwichlust Farm, which is worth R24-million, after lodging a successful land claim.Now Sandton-based developers Hanrob CC and Associates are offering to turn the farm into a R150-million five-star eco-tourism destination, complete with two hotels, a golf course, 30 corporate lodges, 400 residential houses, a school, clinic, a resort on the Crocodile River and a community complex.“This project will contribute to achieving successful land reform in South Africa as a result of sustainable development of the land,” said Hanrob spokesperson Hennie Joubert.The farm borders the N4 highway and part of the Kruger National Park along a strip of the Crocodile River.“We want to make this development an international benchmark for best practice in effective community partnerships in the tourism sector,” Joubert said.Frank Lesenyego, spokesperson for the Mpumalanga Land Claims Commission, confirmed that the community had signed a memorandum of understanding with Hanrob.An initial investment of R50-million will kick-start the project later this year.Construction should be complete by 2009, and the entire project is then expected to generate profits in the region of R10-million a year.During construction, an estimated 4 020 jobs will be created. The total number of permanent jobs to be created is expected to reach 1 020.“Job creation, ploughing back resources and sustainable development are part of the philosophy of our company and part of the way we see our country moving towards broad based black economic empowerment in this successful tourist enterprise,” said Joubert.Source: BuaNews Want to use this article in your publication or on your website?See: Using SAinfo material
Signatories at the inauguration of theNansen-Tutu Centre included diplomats,academics, and Archbishop DesmondTutu, centre front. (Image: University of Cape Town) MEDIA CONTACTS • Patricia LucasUCT Media Liaison Officer+27 21 650 5428 or +27 76 292 8047RELATED ARTICLES • South Africa protects its oceans • Climate-friendly development • SA marks Year of Biodiversity • SA biologist wins thesis awardJanine ErasmusSouth Africa and Norway are teaming up to address climate change and boost marine science in Africa, with the recent launch of the Nansen-Tutu Centre in Cape Town in May.The newly launched facility is the fifth in the international Nansen group of research centres, each of which has a different focus.The other four centres are located in St Petersburg, Russia (1992); Bergen, Norway (1986); Kochi, India (1998); and Beijing, China (2003), making the South African facility the only one to be located in the Southern hemisphere.The Nansen group was founded by oceanographic professor Ola Johannessen, who retired as director of the Bergen facility at the end of 2009 and was succeeded by Stein Sandven. Johannessen still holds the post of group director.The new centre is named after its patron, South Africa’s Archbishop Emeritus Desmond Tutu, and Norwegian scientist, explorer and diplomat Fridtjof Nansen.Both men are distinguished Nobel Peace Prize laureates – Tutu received the accolade in 1984 for his tireless work in abolishing apartheid in South Africa, and Nansen was honoured in 1922 for outstanding humanitarian work as a high commissioner for the League of Nations, later to become the United Nations.Both are also known for their commitment to global peace and care of the natural world. The Nansen-Tutu Centre was “greatly honoured” by Tutu’s allowing the use of his name, said a statement from the centre.The centre’s goal is to study and develop models for the three oceans associated with South Africa – the Indian, the Atlantic, and the Southern oceans. Oceanographic research will also help to determine the oceans’ influence on the African environment and climate.The inauguration function took place in the office of Archbishop Tutu at Mpilo Ministries in Milnerton, Cape Town. Mpilo is the cleric’s middle name.International partnershipThere are seven partners involved in the international scientific project. They are the University of Cape Town’s (UCT) Oceanography department, Princeton University’s Geosciences department, the Ma-Re Institute of Marine Research at UCT, the African Centre for Climate and Earth System Sciences in Cape Town, the Geophysical Institute at the University of Bergen, the Norwegian Institute of marine Research, and the Nansen Environmental and Remote Sensing Centre.The Nansen-Tutu Centre is hosted at the Ma-Re Institute and will be headed by Prof Frank Shilling of Ma-Re and Prof Johnny Johannessen of the Nansen Environmental and Remote Sensing Centre. The academics will hold their tenure for three years.They are to be assisted by a board of eight, half from South Africa and half from Norway. A team of six scientists and students, also equally split between the two countries, oversees all academic activities.According to Ma-Re manager Emlyn Balarin, the centre is to grow over the next six years, increasing its staff complement to 20.The centre’s annual budget is currently around R3.7-million (US$500 000) but this is also expected to increase to around R11.2-million ($1.5-million).Ideal marine study situationSouth Africa is in an advantageous position in terms of marine research, as it is surrounded by both cold and warm oceans, a situation that gives rise to unique marine and terrestrial ecosystems.To better protect these vulnerable ecosystems, an ability to scientifically predict potential marine conditions, in time scales ranging from days to decades, is needed – just as meteorological services are able to forecast climate conditions.The Nansen-Tutu Centre aims to do just that, by enhancing current knowledge of marine- and climate-related systems, and complementing the existing framework for marine research in South Africa.There is a need for regular reports on ocean behaviour, as there is with rainfall and weather patterns. Providing more accurate oceanic data will also enhance rainfall and seasonal weather reports, said Ma-Ra director John Field, because the oceans are hugely influential in global weather trends.The centre will use real-time data, gathered by bodies such as the South African Operational Oceanography Committee, on the Benguela and Agulhas currents and the Southern ocean, and implement it in ocean models.It also plans to foster joint research amongst scientists from all the founding partners, promote student exchanges, offer bursaries and supervision to postgraduate students, develop capacity through training, research and workshops, and conduct outreach programmes.Areas that will benefit from this improved knowledge are, among others, coastal management, fisheries, maritime security, recreation and tourism.
Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games PLAY LIST 02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games02:11Trump awards medals to Jon Voight, Alison Krauss But the possibility also exists for him to aim for a calendar-year Grand Slam, something last done 50 years ago by Rod Laver.It’s the kind of thing that could get everyone talking about tennis.As for Osaka — a 7-6 (2), 5-7, 6-4 winner over Petra Kvitova in Saturday’s final — what makes her sudden surge to the top particularly noteworthy is that it comes right after a period of apparent depth but no dominance.Until this Australian Open, eight women had divided the previous eight major titles. Not since Serena Williams took four in a row from 2014-15 had one woman won consecutive Slam tournaments.And you have to go all the way back to Jennifer Capriati in 2001 to find a woman who won her first major championship and followed it up at the very next Slam with a second title.ADVERTISEMENT LATEST STORIES Grace Poe files bill to protect govt teachers from malicious accusations Rafael Nadal keeps heavy Australian loss to Novak Djokovic in perspective Lacson backs proposal to elect president and vice president in tandem “I always hear stories that the best players win matches even when they’re not playing their best. And I’ve always wondered how they did that,” Osaka said. “So I feel like this tournament, for me, was that.”Djokovic is at the height of his powers. Osaka is only getting better. Who will challenge them?Here is what else we learned at the 2019 Australian Open:SERENA AND ROGERSerena Williams and Roger Federer are both 37. No one has won more Grand Slam singles titles in the professional era than Williams’ 23. No man in history has won more than Federer’s 20. Williams owns seven Australian Open trophies, Federer six. But she lost in the quarterfinals at Melbourne Park this time, and he exited in the fourth round. Maybe age is catching up to them. Maybe not. The idea that either is done contending for big titles seems far-fetched, though. One key thing moving forward: Federer is planning to play the European clay-court circuit and at Roland Garros for the first time since 2015.HEALTHY NADALNadal was not up to slowing down Djokovic, but he otherwise sure looked terrific — and, most importantly, healthy. There’s little doubt who the favorite will be on the clay courts in France. “The positive things that happened these couple of weeks make us very optimistic regarding his future and his level,” said Nadal’s coach, Carlos Moya. “We know there is room to keep improving and we are going to be working on that a lot.”UP-AND-COMINGIf there are those who fret about what will happen when the players who ruled tennis for the past 15 years or so move on, there were several new faces who made statements in Australia. Stefanos Tsitstipas, a 20-year-old from Greece, upset Federer on the way to the semifinals. Lucas Pouille, a 24-year-old from France, arrived with a 0-5 record at Melbourne but was guided to his first major semifinal by coach Amelie Mauresmo. American Frances Tiafoe, a son of immigrants from Sierra Leone who turned 21 during the tournament, pulled off a couple of upsets on the way to the quarterfinals. Danielle Collins, a 25-year-old from Florida, beat three-time major champion Angelique Kerber and made her semifinal debut. Amanda Anisimova, a 17-year-old from New Jersey, showed she has a bright future. US judge bars Trump’s health insurance rule for immigrants Djokovic, a 31-year-old already ranked No. 1, now has won the past three men’s Grand Slam titles. Osaka, who earned her debut at No. 1 at age 21, has won the last two women’s trophies at majors.When it’s time for the next Grand Slam tournament — the French Open, four months from now — all eyes should be on them.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSUrgent reply from Philippine football chiefSPORTSWin or don’t eat: the Philippines’ poverty-driven, world-beating pool stars“Obviously, it’s just the beginning of the season. I know there’s a lot of tournaments to play before Roland Garros, so I have plenty of time to build my form slowly,” Djokovic said. “I have to work on my game, my clay-court game, a bit more.”After his impressive 6-3, 6-2, 6-3 victory over Rafael Nadal in the final at Melbourne Park on Sunday, Djokovic can pursue a fourth consecutive major championship, something he already accomplished from 2015-16. Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Oil plant explodes in Pampanga town View comments ‘We are too hospitable,’ says Sotto amid SEA Games woes Private companies step in to help SEA Games hosting SEA Games hosting troubles anger Duterte Oil plant explodes in Pampanga town Japan’s Naomi Osaka poses with her trophy the Daphne Akhurst Memorial Cup at Melbourne’s Brighton Beach following her win over Petra Kvitova of the Czech Republic in the women’s singles final at the Australian Open tennis championships in Melbourne, Australia, Sunday, Jan. 27, 2019. (AP Photo/Aaron Favila)MELBOURNE, Australia (AP) — The way things went at the Australian Open didn’t exactly teach the world that Novak Djokovic is the best there is in men’s tennis right now. Certainly confirmed it, though.And while those within the game knew all about Naomi Osaka, she made sure her talent is more obvious to more people.ADVERTISEMENT MOST READ