Béla Fleck And Chick Corea Announce Co-Headlining Tour With Their Full Bands

first_imgBéla Fleck and Chick Corea are no strangers to one another, touring together as a jazz duo extraordinaire. However, as Jambands reports, the two will join forces for a major full band tour from August 5-21, 2017. Fleck will bring along his band The Flecktones, while Corea will perform with his Elektric Band, who has accompanied him at several shows along his 75th birthday residency in NYC.The Flecktones made a triumphant return earlier this year, playing a handful of shows last summer for the first time in many years. Corea, meanwhile, celebrated his 75th birthday earlier this year and has shown no signs of slowing down. He’s currently in the midst of an insane residency at the Blue Note Jazz Club in NYC, which features over 80 performances.This tour is guaranteed to be an incredible musical experience, delving deep into the world of experimental jazz. The two bands are also expected to collaborate for a superjam of epic proportions as the encore of each show. The specific dates and locations have not yet been announced, but this is very exciting news! We will be sure to update once more information is revealed.last_img read more

Watch Dave Matthews, Emmylou Harris, Steve Earle, & More Cover Tom Petty’s “Refugee” For Refugees

first_imgOn Tuesday evening, Octover 3rd, the “Lampedusa” tour kicked off at the Moore Theatre in Seattle featuring a diverse and talented group of musicians including Dave Matthews, Steve Earle, Emmylou Harris, Patty Griffin, Joan Baez and more. The string of performances are intended as a benefit for the Jesuit Refugee Service, a nonprofit that looks out for the well-being of refugees across North Ameirca.This 1977 Interview Proves That Tom Petty Was Coolness Personified [Watch]Just one day earlier, on October 2nd rock legend Tom Petty had suddenly passed away after suffering a heart attack at his Malibu, CA home. To begin their collaborative benefit performance at the Moore Theatre, the collective of musicians opted for an all-too-appropriate song, Petty and the Heartbreakers’ “Refugee,” a nod to both the dearly departed singer and the sensitive socio-political nature of the evening’s gathering. Earle, Harris and Griffin each took a verse of the Petty classic, while Matthews took chorus duties on the string heavy, emotionally potent cover.Watch Emotional Footage From Tom Petty’s Final Live Show At Hollywood Bowl, 7 Days Before His DeathYou can watch footage of Dave Matthews, Steve Earle, Emmylou Harris, Patty Griffin and more performing Tom Petty’s “Refugee” below, courtesy of YouTube user LJSimon:For further information on the Jesuit Refugee Service and the upcoming Lampedusa Concerts For Refugees, head to the organization’s website.[h/t – Rolling Stone]last_img read more

Edo 2020: Ondo athletes protest non-payment of camp allowances

first_imgRelatedPosts Why Ondo athletes will be absent at Youth Sports Festival – Council Ondo sports council sacks FA secretary Athletes of the Ondo State Sports Council on Monday protested non-payment of camp allowances by management of the council after the state government had reportedly approved funds for the purpose. The athletes, who paralysed activities at the sports council, accused the General Manager, Wande Fabuluje, and the state Commissioner for Sports, Dotun Owanikin, of incompetence and shortchanging them of their camp allowances. The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the National Sports Festival, billed to have started on March 20, was postponed by the Federal Government as part of measures to prevent the spread of Coronavirus in the country. The leader of the protesters and Chairman of the labour union in the council, Moses Usifo, said the general manager had promised the athletes their allowances last Thursday. Usifo said: “Since 2018, we have been facing a big build-up of fraud in the Ondo State Sports Council and we say enough is enough. “In 2018, government released N75 million for the purchase of equipment, out of which N25 million was embezzled. “We wrote a petition and some people were begging us to withdraw it, but we are still standing on the petition. “We want to use this medium to plead with the Ondo State Government to take proper action on the incompetence of the general manager of the sports council. “Government has released money for the National Sports Festival. “While athletes had been decamped, they have not yet been paid since Friday. “The general manager told us that the money would be paid on Thursday, but they have yet to pay. “The athletes are stranded and angry, hence our protest.” Osifo said the council needed competent hands who knew much about sports management, adding: “There is nowhere in the world where camp will be disbanded without athletes being paid.” Also, the state Basketball Coach, Fisayo Bello, said the athletes were supposed to be at home with their parents as ordered by government due to COVID-19 threat, adding, however, that transportation and other camp entitlements had not been paid. Bello said Owanikin had promised the athletes that all allowances would be paid before the close of the camp. He accused the general manager of misappropriation of funds since he assumed office in 2018, stressing that the state athletes were tired of him being the head of the sports council. He said: “The National Sports Festival 2020 has been postponed and the commissioner gave his word that every allowance should be paid. “This was why they cancelled so many sporting activities. “By now, athletes are still in camp without being fed, while no allowance has also been paid. “Meanwhile, the funds he (the governor) has been releasing, he (General Manager) has been misappropriating them since his assumption of office in 2018. “We are saying No, we don’t want him anymore, we are saying enough is enough.” When contacted, the general manager, however, described the allegations that the athletes were still in camp as false. Fabuluje said camp had been disbanded, following government’s directives. He said the athletes had started receiving alerts in batches since Friday as approved by the state government. Fabuluje said the protesting athletes were those who belonged to the batch that had not received payment. “As I am speaking with you now, I am in the bank and their allowances are being paid,” he said. On the allegation of misappropriation of funds, the general manager said it was not true, maintaining that he had been given clean bill of health by the state House of Assembly and the Department of State Services on the allegation.Tags: Dotun OwonikinEdo Sports FestivalOndo State Sports CouncilWande Fabulujelast_img read more