Advertisement NewsLocal NewsSolicitor avoids conviction with €1,000 charity paymentBy admin – October 23, 2012 473 Linkedin Print Facebook A PROMINENT Limerick solicitor has avoided a criminal conviction for assault after he made a donation of €1,000 to the Society of St Vincent de Paul. The facts of the case against 50-year-old John Devane, with a practice on Quinlan Street, had been earlier proven before Judge Patrick Clyne at Limerick District Court on June 9, 2011. Evidence was heard of how he had “thrown a headbutt” and grabbed fellow solicitor John Herbert by the throat during “an exchange of words” outside Limerick District Court last year.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up John Herbert told the court of how he was assaulted by John Devane after he refused an offer to “forget about” an earlier incident between them two weeks earlier as he felt “it was not made in earnest”. He said he had his hands in his pockets at all times and said it was “preposterous and a lie” that he pushed John Devane.The court heard that Mr Devane was irate and agitated and a witness, Paul O’Dwyer, saw the two standing in the foyer of the courthouse with Mr Devane saying “who do you think you are? You will not bully me like you did last week?”Mr Devane told the court that the relationship between the two was not “amicable” and there was a lot of tension between them.Judge Clyne said he was satisfied that something happened and that the assault occurred. He said he would dismiss the case if he made a €1,000 contribution to St Vincent de Paul before October 18 and last week, the court was notified that the payment had been made.After proceedings, State solicitor, Michael Murray said he had specific instructions from the DPP that the court should either convict Mr Devane and have the proceedings struck out or have the matter dismissed under the Probation Act.However, Judge Clyne said that the case was closed and he had made his decision Twitter WhatsApp Email Previous articleDrug driver banned for six yearsNext articleMan pleads guilty to dangerous driving resulting in death of 16-year-old admin
Advertisement Limerick schools asked to show Racism the Red Card RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Facebook Print Linkedin TAGSschools Email Twitter NewsEducationSchool bus service axed without warningBy Editor – September 8, 2016 835 Schools and colleges to close on Thursday and Friday Bishop says Limerick is not living up to its obligations to migrants Limerick school surprised with wild card for Junk Kouture finals Previous articleLocal businesses urged to support bereavement serviceNext articleFormer Limerick senator told to leave court with his sliotar Editor WhatsApp Bord na Móna encourages more schools to join Eco Rangers programme 142 Limerick schools benefit from minor works scheme A bus service used by a thousand Limerick students has been withdrawn without any prior warning.The Shannon Banks to Westbury service, which has been in operation for almost 40 years, was cancelled by Bus Éireann last week.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up On Monday morning last (August 29) school-bound passengers were informed by their driver that the service would be discontinued at the end of the week.Responding to requests from irate parents Fianna Fáil Councillor, Cathal Crowe, contacted the transport company but without success.“I did what I could and had many phone conversations with Bus Éireann’s Regional Management team throughout the week.”“They promised me that I would be provided with a letter explaining their decision on Tuesday but it wasn’t until Friday afternoon that I received an email from. By then it was too late to respond as the bus had already completed its last journey.”The email received by Cllr Crowe stated that to compensate for the cancelled service, improvements had been made to the 301 bus service which serves Raheen and the city centre.“A service will leave Westbury at 07.50hrs so passengers will have a scheduled service close to the existing 07.55 hrs time,” the email read.“Students traveling on this service to the Crescent Comprehensive School can alight at the Crescent Shopping Centre Stop which is a short walk from the school. Those attending schools off O’Connell Avenue can disembark at Mallow Street or alternatively board the 304 service that operates every 15 minutes from the City Centre to Raheen via O’Connell Avenue,” the email continued.In response Cllr Crowe alluded to a rumour circulating among “angry” parents that the service had been axed as it was not licensed by the Transport Infrastructure Ireland (TII).The Fianna Fáil councillor urged Bus Éireann to clarify this “as soon as possible” so that the service could be reinstated.
The Cambridge Student (TCS) will cease to run print editions after the Cambridge University Students’ Union (CUSU) 2016/17 budget cut funding for the paper.The Cambridge equivalent of The Oxford Student, will lack the funds to run print editions under the new CUSU budget. Passing with 24 votes supporting the budget, three abstentions and 13 in opposition, the new budget decreased the funds allocated to the paper by a total of £4,850, with £2,000 of cuts targeted at website maintenance.In further drama on the night of the vote, an emergency motion from the editors of TCS aimed at maintaining the paper’s print run in a more restricted form was narrowly defeated during the proceedings. With the decision, the 17 year print legacy of the paper comes to an end, as TCS is forced to switch from its primarily print based form to a purely online publication unless alternative solutions can be found.“The decision made by CUSU is devastating for the paper.”Amelia OakleyFollowing the announcement of the proposed cuts in April, around 60 people signed an open letter to support the continuation of print copies of the newspaper. Criticism of the CUSU’s withdrawal of funding has also been strongly voiced by the Student Publication Association (SPA), which, in a joint statement with TCS condemned the impact of the reduction in financial support for the paper. Dan Seamarks, SPA Chair, stated, “Student media is vital for democracy and holding Unions to account, a job TCS does only too well. In making this decision the Students’ Union is not only ending the heritage associated to print but also closing something which further educates students.”Unhappy at the outcome of the vote and the draining nature of campaigning to save the print capacity of the paper while preparing for exams, Amelia Oakley, Editor-in-Chief of TCS told Cherwell, “The decision made by CUSU is devastating for the paper and all its volunteers. We are a print paper at heart, and we are determined to ensure it remains so. After exams we shall be regrouping and discussing every possible avenue available to us. We aren’t taking this decision lying down”.Reacting to the idea of student news lacking print editions, Emma Becirovic, an English student at Jesus College, spoke of her attachment to print, despite not being an avid consumer of student news, “Although people may not be reading the newspapers cover to cover, they are an important and useful way of bringing together into one place the latest politics/arts/sports that have happened at that university.“People hear about what’s happening at their university through this medium, even if it is through word of mouth. But at the end of the day, it has to start somewhere, and that place is the student newspaper.”Chemistry student Ben Rackham, however, displayed both attachment to print and criticism of its excesses, “I think it’s important that there are stories, opinions and reports about the University and student life written by students, including in the print form, although the huge piles of unread copies of such papers in the JCR can’t do the environment much good! I do think the future of journalism lies online.”
Starbucks, the global coffee giant, has reported a 39% rise in fourth quarter profits to $358.5m (£223.9m), but said that sales across Europe and the UK softened during the period.International revenues rose by 6%, driven by strong gains in China, which offset some softness across the UK and Europe, where it said that consumers had been hit hardest by the economic problems.Howard Schultz, chairman, president and ceo, said: “Fiscal 2011 was an extraordinary year in which Starbucks reported record earnings every quarter, and for the full year, and very strong comp store sales growth all around the world.“Starbucks today is executing in all markets and across all channels, and we have never been better positioned to go hard and go fast after the tremendous opportunity that lies ahead in 2012 and beyond,”
NY Spectacular Starring the Radio City Rockettes View Comments Two young stars of stage and screen will head to Radio City Music Hall for New York Spectacular, featuring the Rockettes. Broadway alum Lilla Crawford and Disney Channel star Jenna Ortega will share the role of the teenage lead Emily, joining a cast that also includes the previously announced Euan Morton. Performances will run from June 15 through August 7.Crawford headlined the 2012 Broadway revival of Annie and also appeared on the Great White Way in Billy Elliot. She played the role of Red Riding Hood in the film adaptation of Into the Woods. In addition to the Disney Channel’s Stuck in the Middle, Ortega can be seen on the CW’s Jane the Virgin. Her additional credits include Richie Rich and the upcoming series Elena of Avalor.The new show, penned by Douglas Carter Beane and directed and choreographed by Mia Michaels, follows two kids, who while on a vacation in New York, are separated from their parents. With the help of the Rockettes, the city comes to life to show them its many wonders and reunite the family.In addition to Crawford, Ortega and Morton, the cast will include Jacob Ben Widmar, Vincent Crocilla, Danny Gardner, Blaine Alden Krauss, Kecia Lewis, Jeff Pew and Kacie Sheik. Related Shows Lilla Crawford(Photo: Iva Kozeli) Show Closed This production ended its run on Aug. 7, 2016