Limerick shock Tipperary in SHC semi-final

first_imgLimerick have shocked Tipperary in this afternoon’s Munster SHC semi-final at the Gaelic Grounds, in front of nearly 20,000 spectators.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up Final score Limerick 1-18 Tipperary 1-15For more see this Limerick Post RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR WATCH: Donal Ryan says there is a “great buzz” in the squad as the Ladies Footballer’s gear up for Offaly Twitter Facebook Advertisement Previous articleLimerick to host major gaming eventNext articleBody found on outskirts of Limerick city Guest Writerhttp://www.limerickpost.ie Calling all Limerick GAA Clubs WATCH: John Kiely reflects on ‘fair result’ against Tipperary TAGSfeaturedGAAGaelic GroundsMunster SHC semi-finalMusic LimerickTipperary center_img WhatsApp Linkedin Galway Beat Limerick in Free Ridden Salthill Encounter Print Email ICYMI: Billy Lee confirms 40-man Limerick Senior Football Squad for 2021 SportGaaHurlingNewsLimerick shock Tipperary in SHC semi-finalBy Guest Writer – June 9, 2013 682 Talking Points: Limerick’s unbeaten run comes to an end as they prepare for All-Ireland final rematch last_img read more

MRT Jakarta back to normalcy, but with limited capacity

first_imgAnies Baswedan announced on Thursday that the city administration allowed public transportation to resume operation but limited the number of passengers to 50 percent of normal capacity during the transition phase to maintain physical distance between passengers.“MRT Jakarta will still apply the health protocol that has been implemented so far, such as body temperature checks, the requirement to wear a face mask and educating passengers on maintaining physical distance, regularly washing hands and avoiding starting or engaging in conversation on the train and station platforms,” Kamaluddin wrote in the statement issued on Thursday.MRT Jakarta has only operated six of its stations since April 27 to support the PSBB in the capital city, in addition to cutting operational hours to between 6 a.m. and 6 p.m, which led to a 90 percent drop in ridership.Anies also announced that the city-owned bus service TransJakarta would also resume normal operation after having operated only 13 of its 15 main corridors and having cut passenger capacity and operation hours during the previous PSBB period.The Commuter Line service also increased its operating hours to 4 a.m. to 8 p.m. starting Friday in line with Jakarta’s PSBB transitional period. It is a longer service than during the previous PSBB period in which the company, PT Kereta Commuter Indonesia (KCI) ran a 6 a.m. to 8 p.m. service. KCI also increased the number of trips to 892 a day from the previous 784, the company’s vice president of communications, Anne Purba, said in a statement.Topics : MRT Jakarta resumes normal operation starting Friday as the city administration has announced the start of the transition period for the gradual easing of its large-scale social restrictions (PSBB).The operational hours for the service would return to normal, PT MRT Jakarta president director William Sabandar said. Indonesia’s first mass rapid transit service will operate between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m. on weekdays, with 10 minutes headway between the trains, and between 6 a.m. and 8 p.m. on the weekend, with 20 minutes headway.However, MRT Jakarta corporate secretary head Muhammad Kamaludin added that in order to comply with the health protocols to prevent further spread of COVID-19, the operator would still limit the number of passengers to 50 percent of normal capacity, meaning 62 to 67 passengers in one car, or 390 on the whole train.last_img read more

Alseth looks for 1st collegiate goal at Virginia Tech

first_img Facebook Twitter Google+ Since the beginning of last season, only forward Emil Ekblom and goalie Alex Bono have started more games than Oyvind Alseth.But Alseth — who played every game at right back last year and has started eight of Syracuse’s nine games at right wing this year — still has the same number of career goals as the SU keeper. Zero.Despite coming close several times this season and finding other ways to contribute, Alseth still has yet to find the back of the net during his time at SU. He’s been a big part of the Orange’s success as an attacking midfielder, and the position has also granted him more chances than he got last year. But he’ll continue to look for his first goal when No. 9 Syracuse (8-1, 2-1 Atlantic Coast) takes on Virginia Tech (7-3, 2-1 ACC) at 7 p.m. on Saturday at Thompson Field in Blacksburg, Virginia. AdvertisementThis is placeholder text“I can tell you that I have planned a celebration,” Alseth said. “I don’t want to get too hyped about it because I’ve said a lot of times, ‘Hopefully my first goal will be tonight.’ But hey, you never know.”In the 70th minute against the Fighting Irish on Sept. 13, Alseth received a cross-field pass in the air from Juuso Pasanen. His initial touch with the outside of his right foot got away, but after winning the ball from UND’s Evan Panken, Alseth took a touch ahead and unleashed from 30 yards out.His right-footed shot curled away from Notre Dame goalie Patrick Wall. It evaded Wall’s reach, but careened off the right post and away to safety for Notre Dame.Against Binghamton on Sept. 24, Alseth stood behind a free kick from 30 yards out in the first half. He whipped a low, slicing ball toward goal, but Bearcats keeper Robert Moewes dealt with it comfortably.The chances haven’t been coming in bulk, but Alseth has seen several other shots go begging. And in the 1-0 games Syracuse has often found itself in, an unexpected goal would help.“I’ll take a goal from him right now,” SU head coach Ian McIntyre said with a smirk.Even though there have been several games  in which Alseth hasn’t played the full 90 minutes, he’s been instrumental in an Orange midfield that has dominated opponents. Attacking midfielders such as Alseth and Stefanos Stamoulacatos are constantly covering 18-yard box to 18-yard box, providing a much-needed boost when in the game.“We’re ready to come in whenever coach needs us,” Stamoulacatos said. “… to make that spark and change the game when the opportunity comes.”Though Alseth hasn’t changed the game on the scoreboard yet in his Syracuse career, he has done so in other ways. He consistently puts top-notch services into the box, as shown by his five assists, but it’s not the assists he’s being pressured to tally.Alseth is hearing it from all sides, but with his team ranked in the Top 10 and the defense keeping opponents scoreless in eight games, not breaking the scoring seal seems relatively trivial.“(McIntyre has) been telling me I better start scoring,” Alseth said. “I’ve been hearing it a lot from my teammates as well, but as long as we keep winning I don’t really care if I score goals or not. That’s the most important thing.” Comments Published on October 2, 2014 at 12:10 am Contact Matt: [email protected] | @matt_schneidmanlast_img read more

Guardiola returns to Man City drawing board

first_imgLondon, United Kingdom | AFP | Rattled by a chastening first season in England, Pep Guardiola has gone back to the drawing board in an attempt to fashion Manchester City into Premier League champions.Expectations were sky-high when Guardiola alighted in Manchester after years of being courted by City, but a title challenge failed to materialise and his side did not make a mark in any of the cup competitions.They return to the fray this weekend having spent around £200 million ($261 million, 221.3 million euros) on players and Guardiola believes an exciting new team is taking shape.“With all respect to the players, last season we were one of the oldest teams in the Premier League. We didn’t buy full-backs for five, six years,” said Guardiola.“We decided last season we could change the team to make the team younger for the next four or five years.“Danilo is 26, (Benjamin) Mendy is 23, Bernardo (Silva) is 22, Ederson is 23, so we bought players who are going to be stable for the next years.” There were some promising signs last season — an opening salvo of 10 straight wins, a stunning Champions League victory over Barcelona — but City never found any consistent form.Guardiola seemed unprepared for the rude physicality of English football and was derided for saying he was “not a coach for the tackles” after a one-sided 4-2 defeat at Leicester City.City’s football was, occasionally, dazzling and they were only outscored by champions Chelsea and Tottenham Hotspur, but finding an effective defensive configuration gave Guardiola a constant headache.John Stones looked shaky following his big-money move from Everton and Guardiola’s dissatisfaction with his full-back options saw midfielders Fernandinho and Jesus Navas deployed in the wide defensive positions.There should not be any shoehorning of players into unfamiliar roles this season after Guardiola signed three top-level full-backs — Kyle Walker, Benjamin Mendy and Danilo — at a combined cost of around £124 million.Share on: WhatsApp Pages: 1 2last_img read more

Attack of the small screens: Africa eyes mobile gaming boom

first_imgCape Town, South Africa | AFP | An army of humans laid waste to an alien colony as South African video game maker Simon Spreckley enthusiastically controlled the action using his phone’s touch screen.“The penetration of mobile devices in Africa is huge. People often have two or three phones, which is pretty crazy,” said Spreckley, 40, who wore a T-shirt emblazoned with “Brute”, a four-armed muscled alien from the game.“So that’s one of the big pluses and why we are trying to do this,” he said, promoting “Invasion Day” which will likely launch on Apple’s App Store and Google’s Play platform in 2019.The multi-player tactics game, set in the 1950s, is the brainchild of Spreckley’s eight-strong team at VSUS, a Cape Town-based developer.Many other African developers are also opting to tailor games for mobile devices instead of traditional consoles like PlayStation or desktop computers, leading to a surge of handheld innovation on the continent.“There’s enormous potential in Africa because the continent is primarily mobile,” said Sidick Bakayoko, 34, the founder of Paradise Game, an umbrella group for developers in Ivory Coast.“We’ve done a jump and instead of first going with PC, we’ve gone directly to mobile,” he told AFP at last week’s Africa Games Week convention in Cape Town which brought together African games coders, developers and artists with top executives from Sony and other industry giants.“With the emergence of a number of low-cost smartphones, it’s now very easy to purchase a mobile phone,” he said while video games enthusiasts tried out the continent’s latest digital offerings on screens nearby.– ‘Jump on the bandwagon’ –Bakayoko said that the increasing number of African gaming products for handheld devices mirrored the explosion of mobile banking and financial tools like Kenya’s Mpesa on the continent in recent years.“So there’s great potential for video games using electronic payments… it can work well with Kenya as a prime example,” he said.“There’s no reason for Africa not to jump on the bandwagon.” Another part of mobile gaming’s appeal over other platforms in Africa is that it consumes less data, which can be slow or costly.“In Nigeria they even get games pre-loaded on the phones because data is so expensive,” said Evan Greenwood, 37, the director of South Africa’s leading computer game studio Free Lives.“There’s the potential (in Africa) — but data has to get cheaper and the right games have to be made.”Invasion Day will be free to download, but players must purchase upgrades from within the game.Spreckley hopes Invasion Day will catch the eye of a major investor, but many African mobile games developers have struggled to turn their creations into cash.– ‘In more people’s hands’ –Ivory Coast’s Point Point, based on a traditional children’s game played using paper, and Madagascar’s Gazkar, a racing game featuring the island’s ubiquitous Citroen 2CV, have proved popular with mobile gamers — though not readily profitable.But Google’s decision in June to allow games developers from African countries including Nigeria, Zimbabwe, South Africa and Tanzania to make money from their creations sold on its Play store could revolutionise the sector.“Most people use (Google) Android here,” said Sithe Ncube, 24, the founder of Zambia’s Ubongo Game Lab.“People haven’t had a way to monetise their mobile games. People have actually been developing apps for a while but there hasn’t been a way to use it as a business model,” said Ncube who wore a spiked choker and had a streak of bright purple in her dark hair.“If Google Play can let us do that, then that’s a good platform for people to start on.”Share on: WhatsApp Pages: 1 2last_img read more