Advertisement NewsLocal NewsSolicitor avoids conviction with €1,000 charity paymentBy admin – October 23, 2012 473 Linkedin Print Facebook A PROMINENT Limerick solicitor has avoided a criminal conviction for assault after he made a donation of €1,000 to the Society of St Vincent de Paul. The facts of the case against 50-year-old John Devane, with a practice on Quinlan Street, had been earlier proven before Judge Patrick Clyne at Limerick District Court on June 9, 2011. Evidence was heard of how he had “thrown a headbutt” and grabbed fellow solicitor John Herbert by the throat during “an exchange of words” outside Limerick District Court last year.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up John Herbert told the court of how he was assaulted by John Devane after he refused an offer to “forget about” an earlier incident between them two weeks earlier as he felt “it was not made in earnest”. He said he had his hands in his pockets at all times and said it was “preposterous and a lie” that he pushed John Devane.The court heard that Mr Devane was irate and agitated and a witness, Paul O’Dwyer, saw the two standing in the foyer of the courthouse with Mr Devane saying “who do you think you are? You will not bully me like you did last week?”Mr Devane told the court that the relationship between the two was not “amicable” and there was a lot of tension between them.Judge Clyne said he was satisfied that something happened and that the assault occurred. He said he would dismiss the case if he made a €1,000 contribution to St Vincent de Paul before October 18 and last week, the court was notified that the payment had been made.After proceedings, State solicitor, Michael Murray said he had specific instructions from the DPP that the court should either convict Mr Devane and have the proceedings struck out or have the matter dismissed under the Probation Act.However, Judge Clyne said that the case was closed and he had made his decision Twitter WhatsApp Email Previous articleDrug driver banned for six yearsNext articleMan pleads guilty to dangerous driving resulting in death of 16-year-old admin
Homepage BannerNews Homes in the Curransport area are currently without water due essential maintenance works required on a water main. It is estimated that up to 100 properties may be affected by this unplanned outage in this area.It is expected that the repairs will be completed by 3.00pm today.Meanwhile a burst water main is also affecting a large part of Lifford.Crews are carrying out repairs and they’re expected to be complete by 2pm. By News Highland – May 20, 2020 Twitter WhatsApp Arranmore progress and potential flagged as population grows RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR WhatsApp Facebook Journey home will be easier – Paul Hegarty Twitter Google+ Homes at Curransport & Lifford without water DL Debate – 24/05/21 Important message for people attending LUH’s INR clinic Facebook Pinterest Harps come back to win in Waterford Google+ News, Sport and Obituaries on Monday May 24th Pinterest Previous articleHouse prices could fall by 5% due to pandemicNext articleQuigley keen on Hearn hosting Cullen fight News Highland
Wales boss Warren Gatland will have a few tricks up his sleeve that could catch Ireland’s crop of Lions unawares on Saturday, warns Jamie Heaslip. Lions coach Gatland led the likes of Heaslip and Ireland captain Paul O’Connell to Test series victory over Australia in the summer. The fallout from omitting Brian O’Driscoll for the decisive final Test still overshadows Saturday’s RBS 6 Nations clash between Ireland and Wales. Assistant coach Les Kiss said Ireland will not hold anything back in chasing turnovers at the tackle area. But the defensive specialist said Schmidt’s outfit will be at pains to show referee Wayne Barnes they are staying the right side of the laws when contesting the breakdown. “You can still go hard at the breakdown, and fight hard,” said Kiss. “But you must do it accurately and show good pictures to the referee and your team-mates. “If the contest is on we’ll go for it, but if not we’ll trust in our other plans.” “And it’s over to us, ultimately. We’re under no illusions what we’re up against. “They’ve won the championship two years on the hop now. We’re going up against a quality side, we’ve played against them often and with them from the summer. “They are good players and good blokes, and we expect a tough battle on our hands in that regard. It’s definitely going to be a physical game.” Vice-captain Heaslip believes Ireland carry “absolutely” no hang-ups from the summer into this weekend. Ireland’s Lions contingent worked closely and at length with Gatland, unearthing his most trusted coaching methods and styles of play. But the Leinster loose forward is adamant Gatland has kept some secrets close to his chest, to be unleashed for his Wales side in this year’s Six Nations, as they chase a record third straight championship titles. “I’m sure ‘Gats’ hasn’t shown his full hand, across the summer and even into the tournament now,” said Heaslip. “Their lads have played enough against (Ireland coach) Joe (Schmidt) through club rugby when he was Leinster boss I suppose, to get a taste of what he could be like. “But they are not playing against Joe as such, they are playing against our lads. “You’ve got to take it with a pinch of salt I suppose. “It will have a bearing, and perhaps they could gain an advantage from it. But we’ve just got to be mindful of them producing something different. Press Association
Even with Virginia and Syracuse on bye, the Atlantic Coast Conference still kept things busy in Week 5. Every intraconference game was decided by eight points or fewer and one team had a special trick up its sleeve.Intra-Conference:Quarterback Marquise Williams caught a 37-yard touchdown pass when North Carolina (4-1, 1-0 Atlantic Coast) ran a trick play in its eventual 38-31 win over Georgia Tech (2-3, 0-2). Pittsburgh (3-1, 1-0) saw redshirt freshman running back Qadree Ollison rush for 122 yards on 19 carries as the Panthers beat Virginia Tech (2-3, 0-1), 17-13.Quarterback Lamar Jackson’s 121 rushing yards led Louisville (2-3, 1-1) to 20-13 win, handing NC State (4-1, 0-1) its first loss.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textDuke (4-1, 2-0) won a game without scoring a touchdown for the first time since 1978 as Ross Martin kicked the Blue Devils over Boston College (3-2, 0-2) by a final score of 9-7.Dalvin Cook ran for 94 yards before leaving with a hamstring injury, but No. 11 Florida State (4-0, 2-0) didn’t slow down with Cook’s exit. Johnathan Vickers ran for a touchdown in Cook’s absence as the Seminoles won 24-16 over Wake Forest (2-3, 0-2). Winners:After scoring a last-second touchdown, No. 6 Notre Dame had to try a two-point conversion to tie the game with No. 12 Clemson (4-0, 2-0), but a Tigers goal-line stand gave Clemson the win over the higher-ranked opponent.Losers:On Thursday, Miami (3-1) fell to Cincinnati on the road by a score of 34-23.Here are the current ACC standings: Facebook Twitter Google+ Published on October 4, 2015 at 6:28 pm Contact Sam: [email protected] | @Sam4TR Comments
By Chris Rotolo |A recent study on electronic cigarettes and vaping devices indicates that users of these products are exposing themselves to cancer-causing toxins, and the report is eliciting action from local schools.According to the study’s lead researcher, Mark Rubinstein, M.D., a professor of pediatrics at the University of California, San Francisco, urine tests from the bodies of teens who used electronic cigarettes and vaping devices revealed elevated levels of five different toxins that are referred to as Volatile Organic Compounds (VOC), all of which are known or suspected carcinogens.Adrian Pristas, M.D., a pulmonologist for Hackensack Meridian Health at Riverview Medical Center, said these VOCs can only become carcinogenic when they are heated to a certain temperature and though vape devices are not believed to produce that level of heat, the fact that they are not regulated by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has led him to raise questions.“Why would you take the chance? This is a situation that is not much different than what we’re facing with (marijuana), in that the use is way ahead of the medical knowledge,” Pristas said.“The fact is we don’t know a whole lot about what vaping is doing to the human body. We can only compare it to other inhalation exposures. Vaping is potentially dangerous.”Rubinstein’s study indicated that traces of these potentially harmful VOCs were detected at a rate up to three times higher in users than in those teens who did not vape.“Many of these compounds are carcinogenic. Will they definitely cause cancer? We don’t know that, but it’s ordinarily not a good idea to put these compounds in your body, especially if you’re a youngster who is going to use these devices for many years and live with the impact of DNA mutation over that time,” said Norman Edelman, M.D., senior scientific advisor for the American Lung Association.Though touted as a healthier option to traditional combustible cigarettes, the recent study on these VOCs tells a more threatening tale, especially when considering that addictive properties like nicotine are still present inside the liquid used within an electronic cigarette.“It’s been proven that these devices do produce nicotine. These things are not free and clear like they’ve been made out to be,” Pristas said. “And they appear to be an addictive gateway device that leads to cigarette use, as studies have shown that those who are 14 to 30 years of age and vape are four times more likely to start smoking.”One of Pristas’ biggest concerns surrounding the vaping issue is the latest marketing trend that appears to be targeting younger users with various flavors, including Bananas Foster, Rainbow Candy, Berry Splash and many more. These tactics are also troubling to Oceanport resident Kim Murphy, who helped found the borough’s Drug Education Initiative committee (DEI).“All of these flavors, all these marketing tactics, they’re absolutely trying to draw in younger users, and as a parent it’s very upsetting,” Murphy said. “I’ve read that they’re primarily targeting young girls, because the vapors smell like their perfume, so they can get away with it easier. But the fact is the marketing is working. Young kids are very into it. These companies are making a lot of money. And it’s our job to educate our families.”Murphy and the DEI committee are taking an initial educational step by inviting local parents to “Vaping: What Every Parent Should Know,” a presentation on March 20 at the Maple Place School, which will display information on the dangers of vaping, trends concerning kids, the cosmetic makeup of vaping devices and the flavored liquids that are available.According to Murphy, the presentation is a response to the lack of easily digestible and readily available information on the issue, and the recent increase in questions she and the DEI committee have received from concerned parents.“It’s been the No. 1 question people have had and it’s a topic that we personally don’t know much about,” Murphy said. “We don’t know what our kids were facing. We don’t know why it’s so easy for them to do it. It’s obvious that times are changing. Kids really aren’t smoking cigarettes anymore. But this is a new threat. And we need to create different platforms for professionals to come and educate us on what we’re dealing with.”The presentation will be made at 7 p.m. and led by PJ O’Connell, Shore Regional High School’s security director, who hosted the same session at his high school in January.“We’re very excited to have PJ leading the presentation, because he’s a retired police detective who worked in Ocean Township, so he’s able to speak from experience. He’ll show what it is that your kids are doing. He’ll let you smell the different scents. He’ll show what the different devices look like so you can identify them at home. Vaping is very accessible to our kids, but PJ is here to help.” Murphy said.Earlier this month a presentation was held at Middletown High School South for district parents to attend and acquire information about vaping, and several other Two River-area townships are addressing, or have addressed the issue.When the calendar turned to 2018, Red Bank Regional Superintendent Louis Moore issued a policy update to his school community, reminding students that in 2010, the state of New Jersey had implemented a vaping ban prohibiting the use of electronic cigarettes and vaping devices in all indoor public places, businesses and schools. Moore’s update also stated that possession and use of these devices on school property or at school functions “may result in serious consequences for students, including suspension, police referral and a mandatory substance screening.”On April 25, all Freehold Regional School District parents are invited to Colts Neck High School for a special presentation titled “Vaping: The Smoke Screen our Parents Need to Know About Vapes, E-Cigs & Cloud Pens.” The 45-minute event will be led by Douglas S. Collier of Drug Education Awareness, and will include a Q&A session for attendees.This article was first published in the March 15-22, 2018 print edition of The Two River Times.
By Bruce Fuhr,The Nelson Daily SportsThe loss early in the season may have been a blessing in disguise for the Castlegar Vikings.Because ever since the defending champs dropped the opener the Vikes have been perfect, continuing the trend right on through to capturing the West Kootenay Men’s Flag Football League title Sunday at Mount Sentinel Field.The Vikes overcame below zero temperatures, and a stingy Dam Inn Mates squad, to claim its fourth straight title with a 26-12 victory.The game was a rematch of the 2009 final won 16-4 by Castlegar.“Defence was clearly the key for us,” said Castlegar receiver/defensive back Steve Mota. “Our defence gave them nothing. (Dam Inn) had us first and goal twice and didn’t score.”After intercepting Dam Inn on the goal line late in the opening quarter with the game scoreless, the Vikes drove the length of the field. The long drive down the field was capped off in a major score when Castlegar quarterback David Kravski connected with John Lloyd from inside the red zone making it 7-0. Castlegar then went up 14-0 when Mota intercepted a short pass before out running the Mates into the end zone for a pick-six.Dam Inn rallied back to close the gap as Griffin Augustine found the end zone for the Mates. However, the two-point conversion fell short keeping the Vikes in control.In the second half Jason Trower scored for the Vikes to increase the lead.Bryan Lauzon and Lloyd also had interceptions for Castlegar. Augustine had one of the two interceptions for Dam Inn.”Dam Inn was definitely our (toughest) competition,” Mota explained. “We had to come ready to play each and every time we played them. We match up well. Our go to guys made plays, their go to guys made plays.”Castlegar had an easy time advancing to the league final after the regular season champs disposed of Nelson Impact in one semi final.In the other contest Dam Inn Mates needed a late touchdown to knock off Hume [email protected]
Backstopped by the rock-solid goaltending by Curt Doyle, Nelson took a 1-0 lead on a second-period goal by Enns.Jayden Bennett increased the margin to 2-0 before the team exchanged goals.Enns then score into the empty net to complete the comeback.Ben Woodward also scored for Nelson.The Reps now advance to play Castlegar in the West Kootenay Minor Hockey Peewee Rep Finals beginning Sunday in the Sunflower City.Castlegar won the regular season league title by a point over Nelson. The teams split three regular season games but Nelson defeated their West Kootenay rivals twice in tournament play.Game two of the series is tentatively set for Tuesday in Nelson.The West Kootenay winner represents the zone at the B.C. Minor Hockey Tier III Peewee Rep Championships March 18-23 in [email protected] The Nelson Peewee Reps took the long road to the West Kootenay Minor Hockey League Peewee Rep Final.After rallying from a one game deficit, the Reps completed the comeback against Rossland/Trail, doubling the visitors 4-2 Thursday at the Civic Centre in Nelson.Avery Enns scored twice to lead the Reps to the victory.”Once again we had a slow start in the first period,” said Nelson coach Brian Jones. “I don’t think it was nerves. All season we just seem to do it the hard way.”Nelson, winners of game two of the series 6-2 in Trail Monday, wins the first-team-to-four-point series 4-2.Rossland/Trail won the opening game of the playoff series Friday in Nelson 1-0. Brett Watson was outstanding in shutting out the Nelson Reps.However, Thursday Nelson continued to build from Monday’s performance.
The ecstatic paint technician, who traveled to Nairobi to be feted, took the opportunity to caution punters on addiction occasioned by gambling but would not give up on placing bets after his big victory.“Young punters should know that betting is addictive and they should not stake a lot of money in it. If you have to play then stake a small amount that you can afford and that which if you lose would not have an impact on your life. Betting is like smoking so anyone doing it must watch out not to get hooked,” Nzioka cautioned.Ian Nzioka, a father of two, staked Sh10 and made thirteen correct predictions to bag the Sh1 million on offer, becaming the second jackpot winner from betPawa.Nzioka narrated how his luck day unfolded from the morning till late in the night when the last jackpot game was played.“I spent the weekend analyzing the jackpot matches very keenly. My account had Sh90 so after placing other normal bets I decided to play the jackpot. After careful analysis I selected the lucky dip option and when I compared with what I had picked, they matched. I knew I was on to something.” He narratedNzioka predicted that most games would end in draws and he felt lucky about his choices. “I didn’t go to church that day and kept looking at the progress of matches. I even cooked for the family that day and that is not something I do a lot. I made chapatis and saw off everyone to bed as I waited for the last game to conclude. I had to wake my wife later to give her the good news although she still has doubts if it’s all true.” Nzioka explained.He plans to renovate his mother’s house and pay off a land debt with his jackpot proceeds.The company launched it’s first jackpot last month and it took just days for a winner to emerge. The company allows punters to stake the least amount in the industry as betting starts at Sh1.0Shares0000(Visited 8 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Ian Nzioka winner of betPawa jackpot receiving his Sh1mn cheque.NAIROBI, Kenya, June 6 – A painter in Mombasa has won the betPawa Sunday Million jackpot merely twenty days after the maiden one was won.Ian Nzioka, a father of two, staked Sh10 and made thirteen correct predictions to bag the Sh1 million on offer, becaming the second jackpot winner from betPawa.