Solicitor avoids conviction with €1,000 charity payment

first_imgAdvertisement NewsLocal NewsSolicitor avoids conviction with €1,000 charity paymentBy admin – October 23, 2012 473 Linkedin Print Facebook A PROMINENT Limerick solicitor has avoided a criminal conviction for assault after he made a donation of €1,000 to the Society of St Vincent de Paul. The facts of the case against 50-year-old John Devane, with a practice on Quinlan Street, had been earlier proven before Judge Patrick Clyne at Limerick District Court on June 9, 2011. Evidence was heard of how he had “thrown a headbutt” and grabbed fellow solicitor John Herbert  by the throat during “an exchange of words” outside Limerick District Court last year.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up John Herbert told the court of how he was assaulted by John Devane after he refused an offer to “forget about” an earlier incident between them two weeks earlier as he felt “it was not made in earnest”.  He said he had his hands in his pockets at all times and said it was “preposterous and a lie” that he pushed John Devane.The court heard that Mr Devane was irate and agitated and a witness, Paul O’Dwyer, saw the two standing in the foyer of the courthouse with Mr Devane saying “who do you think you are? You will not bully me like you did last week?”Mr Devane told the court that the relationship between the two was not “amicable” and there was a lot of tension between them.Judge Clyne said he was satisfied that something happened and that the assault occurred. He said he would dismiss the case if he made a €1,000 contribution to St Vincent de Paul before October 18 and last week, the court was notified that the payment had been made.After proceedings, State solicitor, Michael Murray said he had specific instructions from the DPP that the court should either convict Mr Devane and have the proceedings struck out or have the matter dismissed under the Probation Act.However, Judge Clyne said that the case was closed and he had made his decisioncenter_img Twitter WhatsApp Email Previous articleDrug driver banned for six yearsNext articleMan pleads guilty to dangerous driving resulting in death of 16-year-old adminlast_img read more

Limerick’s ‘Men’s Health Week’ shines a light on preventable health problems

first_img16/06/2015Limerick Mens Health Week launch.Pictured helping to launch the event were, Dylan Kelly, Kileedy, Co. Limerick, Peter Coker, Abbeyfeale Co. Limerick and Jason Brouder, Monagea Co. Limerick. Picture: Alan Place/FusionShooters. 16/06/2015Limerick Mens Health Week launch.Pictured helping to launch the event were, Jason Brouder, Monagea, Co. Limerick, Denis Collins, Abbeyfeale, Finbar Ahern, Castleconnell, Gearoid Balfry, Patrickswell, Peter Croker, Abbeyfeale and Luke Kennedy, Limerick Sports Partnership. Picture: Alan Place/FusionShooters. TAGSinternational men’s health weeklimerickmen’s health week The annual initiative also aims to support men and boys to engage in healthier lifestyle choices and activities, as well as encourage the early detection and treatment of health difficulties in males.Limerick Sports Partnership hosted a calendar of events across Limerick City and County during the week. “Adopting a healthy lifestyle is not something that can easily happen overnight but small changes can make a big difference. Our focus over the past week was to inform men about the lifestyle changes that will make them live longer and healthier lives,” added Ms. Fitzgerald. Advertisement The LSP were delighted to have Lorcan Brennan present during the week who delivered the Men’s Development Network ‘Engage Training’ and also launched the LSP upcoming Men on the Move Health Checks Initiative to practitioners working with men across Limerick City and County. Vanishing Ireland podcast documenting interviews with people over 70’s, looking for volunteers to share their stories Facebook Predictions on the future of learning discussed at Limerick Lifelong Learning Festival “Figures show men on the island of Ireland experience a disproportionate burden of ill-health with one man in five dying before the age of 65. Many of those deaths are preventable, so this year’s Men’s Health Week contained a strong focus on men pursing a healthy lifestyle,” commented Mairead Fitzgerald, Sports Development Officer at Limerick Sports Partnership. Print NewsLimerick’s ‘Men’s Health Week’ shines a light on preventable health problemsBy Staff Reporter – June 22, 2015 885 The week was supported by the Men’s Health Forum in Ireland (MHFI), HSE, Bikeweek 2015, Men’s Development Network, UL Sport and LIT. RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Among the events was an open swim session at UL Sports Arena, Go For Life Games at LIT Sports Hall, Walking Soccer in Abbeyfeale Astro Turf Pitch, a men’s health awareness event at Woodlands House Hotel in Adare, a Great Southern Trail Cycle and a men’s health physical activity information stand at the Daffodil Centre in the Mid Western Regional Hospital. Limerick’s National Camogie League double header to be streamed live WATCH: “Everyone is fighting so hard to get on” – Pat Ryan on competitive camogie squads Hundreds of Limerick men of all ages took part in a series of events marking International Men’s Health Week, which came to a close at the weekend. Email Twitter Previous articleRail tours from Shannon to boost tourismNext articlePictures – Down Syndrome Ireland Night at the Dogs Staff Reporterhttp://www.limerickpost.ie Celebrated in most European countries, as well as in the USA, Australia, New Zealand and a number of other places worldwide, Men’s Health Week aims to heighten awareness of preventable health problems for males of all ages. Linkedin 16/06/2015Limerick Mens Health Week launch. Picture: Alan Place/FusionShooters. 16/06/2015Limerick Mens Health Week launch.Pictured helping to launch the event were, Finbar Ahern, Castleconnell, Co. Limerick, Aine Cunningham, Kileedy Co. Limerick and Denis Collins, Abbeyfeale, Co. Limerick. Picture: Alan Place/FusionShooters. Limerick Artist ‘Willzee’ releases new Music Video – “A Dream of Peace” WhatsApp Limerick Ladies National Football League opener to be streamed livelast_img read more

UCL: Dortmund stun Inter

first_imgRelatedPosts Man U wants Martinez in exchange for Pogba Lukaku scores two late goals as Inter win at angry Bologna Lukaku, Martinez strike twice as Inter edge in seven-goal thriller Achraf Hakimi scored two second-half goals as Borussia Dortmund overturned a two-goal deficit to beat Inter Milan in a thriller at the Westfalenstadion.The 21-year-old right-back pulled one back off his shin before finding the winner in the 77th minute, after Julian Brandt equalised for the hosts.First-half goals from Lautaro Martinez and Matias Vecino had given Antonio Conte’s side a 2-0 lead.Dortmund move above Inter into second spot in Champions League Group F. Tags: Lautaro MartinezMatias Vecinolast_img

Supreme Court reserves order on Sreesanth’s plea against lifetime ban by BCCI

first_imgNew Delhi: The Supreme Court on Thursday reserved its order on a plea by former cricketer S. Sreesanth challenging the lifetime ban imposed on him by the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) for his alleged involvement in match fixing during 2013 IPL.The bench of Justice Ashok Bhushan and Justice K.M. Joseph reserved the order as apex cricketing body said that Sreesanth was found guilty on all the three counts – corruption, betting and bringing disrepute to the game.The court has given both Sreesanth and the BCCI to file their written submissions in two weeks.Appearing for BCCI, senior counsel Parag Tripathi told the court that for corruption and betting, the punishment is lifetime ban from the game.Pointing to zero tolerance towards corruption and betting and also any act bringing disrepute to cricket, Tripathi told the court that at no stage, Sreesanth brought it to the notice of BCCI’s Anti-Corruption Unit about his being approached by bookies.The BCCI also reiterated the charge that Sreesanth never explained to the inquiry committee about where Rs 10 lakh, an amount that finds mention in the recorded telephonic conversation, came from.In his rejoinder arguments, senior counsel, Salman Khurshid appearing for Sreesanth said that the onus of proving the guilt was on the BCCI. He said it was for the BCCI to establish that Rs 10 lakhs had come from questionable sources for match fixing.Referring to the taped conversation, Khurshid said it says that transaction would take place only if former cricketer concedes 14 runs in an over and that it would be off for anything less than that.In the alleged over, where Sreesanth was to concede 14 runs, in fact 13 runs could be scored. It has been contended against Sreesanth that there was one no ball, which would have made it to 14 runs, but it escaped the umpire’s sight.Wrapping up his rejoinder arguments, Khurshid urged the court to save the career of the “young cricketer, who is not that young now, but still retains the spirit of cricket.”In the earlier hearing, Sreesanth had told the court that he initially confessed to the Special Cell of Delhi Police about his alleged involvement in the 2013 IPL spot-fixing scandal to escape sustained and continuous police torture.Sreesanth moved the top court challenging the Kerala High Court order upholding the lifetime ban on him by the BCCI.The Delhi Police had arrested Sreesanth and his two other Rajasthan Royals’ teammates, Ajit Chandila and Ankeet Chavan, on the charge of spot-fixing during IPL 2013. IANSAlso Read: SPORTS NEWSlast_img read more

Trojan baseball has the tools for success

first_imgTrojan baseball is coming back to Dedeaux Field this Friday in a season that can go either way for the Trojans. On one hand, USC hasn’t had a winning season since 2015 and that losing culture may prevail inside the team’s locker room, if it does not start off strong. However, there is evidence suggesting that these Trojans have the potential to prove their doubters wrong and claim their first winning season since 2015. The bottom line? There are positives for USC baseball this season.The first positive for the Trojans is that they are all returning players — except for the first baseman — who played key roles last season.The middle infield is loaded with talent from players such as senior Brandon Perez, senior Chase Bushor and sophomore Ben Ramirez. Last season, Ramirez started off the campaign strong at shortstop, living up to the hype that surrounded him after he was drafted the year before. Nothing seemed to faze Ramirez, who hit lights out and made unbelievable plays in the field until he got injured. While he struggled to come back from the injury and play at the same elite level. Ramire proved his talent in his first few collegiate games.During Ramirez’s absence, Bushor stepped up and filled the gap at shortstop. After a few games, it became evident that it was Bushor’s spot to lose, as he not only fielded well but was also one of the most consistent batters on the team, despite starting the season as a backup. He finished the year second on the team with a .301 batting average.Brandon Perez is another player worth watching. While he didn’t bat very consistently last season, finishing only .237 on the year, he earned Gold Glove honors as the top defensive third baseman in the country. If he finds a better groove hitting the ball this season, the Trojans may have one of the best infielders in the Pac-12. His leadership on and off the field will be vital to the team’s success this season.Switching over to the outfield, junior outfielder Matthew Acosta has the potential to become a Pac-12 star this season. Acosta competes at an elite level with a powerful bat and great fielding ability. Last year, Acosta failed to find consistency in performances every game, but he still showed glimpses of his true potential. If head coach Dan Hubbs can find a way to bring out more consistency from Acosta, the Trojans will have a constant RBI threat that pitchers fear. Last season, Acosta finished with a .263 batting average and 26 RBI. Acosta is capable of being the team’s go-to player at the plate, but he will have to improve those numbers first.Moreover, there is room for improvement in pitching, and some of the Trojans have already shown glimpses of brilliance. Sophomore pitcher Kyle Hurt is a prime example of a player that promises to be one of the best pitchers not only in the conference, but also in the NCAA. The sophomore was drafted two years ago, but decided to forgo the draft and play college baseball for the Trojans. He had a turbulent year, finishing at 4-5 with a 4.76 ERA. However, during the season, he managed to pitch a no-hitter as a freshman in a Pac-12 game against Utah. Hurt reaches above 90 miles per hour with his fastball. If he can find more consistent control, Hurt can prove a challenge for opposing batters.In relief, junior pitcher Connor Lunn has the ability to take care of leads and close out games for the Trojans. Lunn was recently placed on the National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association watch list for top relievers in the country. If the Trojans can find a way to lead late in games, they should be confident that Lunn can finish teams off with ease.The Trojans did lose some key players last season, including Dillon Paulson at first base, Lars Nootbaar in the outfield and Solomon Bates on the mound. Paulson and Nootbaar offered powerful bats and a home run threat every time they stepped up to the plate, and Bates was the Trojans’ best pitcher. However, the Trojans will come into the year with more starters who have collegiate baseball experience. If the Trojans can start the season strong and find their momentum, they will find success. However, the Arkansas series in the second week of the season could be an obstacle for USC. If they do well in that series, the team will prove that it may see a winning season once again.last_img read more

Hugo Alfredo Santillan, 23, becomes second boxer in days to die from injuries in ring

first_imgRIP Hugo Santillan.He passed away from injuries suffered during Saturday’s fight which ended in a draw.We join Hugo’s family and friends in grief, support and wish prompt resignation.Via @marcosarienti pic.twitter.com/WwT7LyLXIW— World Boxing Council (@WBCBoxing) July 25, 2019A super lightweight, Santillan — the son of former boxer Alfredo Santillan — made his pro debut in 2015 and was 19-6-2 with eight KOs. He becomes the second boxer this week to die from injuries sustained in the ring.Join DAZN to watch Hooker vs. Ramirez on July 27 and 100+ fight nights a year​Maxim Dadashev of Russia died Tuesday after suffering a similar brain injury during a fight Friday in Maryland against Subriel Matias of Puerto Rico. Dadashev was 28.According to ringside reports from Buenos Aires (via ESPN.com), Santillan’s nose began to bleed in the fourth round of Saturday’s 10-round bout and, though he raised his arm in victory after the fight, he collapsed after the judges announced the fight as a draw.Santillan, nicknamed “Dynamite,” underwent surgery for a clot on his brain and twice went into cardiorespiratory failure before he died of cardiac arrest at 12:35 a.m. Thursday local time Thursday, Olocco confirmed.“Upon admission to the hospital, he had successive kidney failure and he did not come out of his coma,” Olocco said (via The Guardian). “He had swelling of his brain and he never recovered consciousness. The swelling continued to worsen, and it affected the functioning of the rest of his organs.”The WBC expressed its condolences, tweeting, in part, “We join Hugo’s family and friends in grief.” Argentine boxer Hugo Alfredo Santillan died Thursday in Buenos Aires of injuries suffered in his fight Saturday against Eduardo Javier Abreu, Dr. Graciela Olocco from Hospital Agudos San Felipe confirmed to local media.Santillan was 23.last_img read more