GACC mourns death of Colin Mayers

first_imgThe Guyanese American Chamber of Commerce (GACC) on Wednesday said it was saddened and shocked by the sudden and untimely passing of the Consul General of Barbados in the State of Florida, Colin S Mayers.“The late Consul General was a true friend of the GACC and was among the main speakers at the official launch of the Chamber in February 2016. Mr Mayers was also a true son of the Caribbean, always supportive of efforts to protect andThe late Colin Mayersadvance the cause of the [Caribbean Community] Caricom Region and its Diaspora in the United States, especially in the promotion of culture, trade and investment and the game of cricket”, the Chambers said in a statement to the media.GACC President Wesley Kirton said Mayers’ willingness to share advice, to participate in and support Caribbean activities, his vision and certainly his warm friendship will surely be missed.Consul General Mayers died suddenly on Friday, April 6, after suffering a massive heart attack. The GACC said his untimely passing occurred as he was preparing to be sworn in later that morning as the Dean of the Consular Corps in Florida.“The GACC extends its heartfelt sympathy to his wife, family, the staff of the Barbados Consulate and the Barbados Community in Florida,” the statement.The late Consul General will be buried on Saturday, April 21, in South Florida.last_img read more

KillBillies to start season with roller derby competition in Prince George

first_imgFORT ST. JOHN, B.C. -The Killbillies Roller Derby team is starting their season with a competition taking place in Prince George.Kailey Odermatt, of the KillBillies, says her team will be heading to Prince George on March 23 to take on the North Stars, adding that her team is quite excited to go against the North Stars as this is a team they have not played in some time.“As of right now, all we have scheduled is we’re headed to Prince George on March 23 to take on the North Stars. Their team we’ve actually been waiting to play for a few years now, so we’re very excited about that opportunity.”- Advertisement -Following this competition in Prince George, the KillBillies will be headed to Fort McMurray for a derby in April.For updates on the KillBillies, you can visit their Facebook page.last_img read more

Penaltygate’ threatens to halt PSG’s lightning start

first_imgBut the South American pair disagreed over who should take a penalty in the 2-0 win over Lyon, before Cavani saw his effort saved by Anthony Lopes, with Neymar appearing to walk away shaking his head in disgust.“The two players who will be taking the penalties are Cavani and Neymar,” Emery told a press conference on Thursday.“(That is) because they’re capable of assuming this responsibility, but other players can take them.“During training we practice penalties because when the decisive moment arrives and we can win a title with penalties, we will need more than two.“Last year, the penalty taker was Cavani, this year with the arrival of Neymar there are two. Who is number one and who is number two, I will make that decision.”Despite the furore over the penalty drama, PSG have been in irresistible form and lead reigning champions Monaco by three points at the top of the early table.However, Spaniard Emery may opt to make some changes for the trip to Montpellier with Wednesday’s Champions League clash against Bayern Munich in mind.Monaco kick off the weekend action with a trip to Marcelo Bielsa’s struggling Lille on Friday.Leonardo Jardim’s principality outfit bounced back from a shock 4-0 thrashing at Nice by seeing off Strasbourg 3-0 last week, with Radamel Falcao’s brace taking him to nine league goals for the season already.Monaco welcome Porto to the Stade Louis II in the Champions League on Tuesday, but Jardim ruled out making wholesale changes.“My message doesn’t change: the next match is the most important,” he said.“It’s not possible for a player to save himself for the Champions League. If he does, he could also miss out on that match.”– Bielsa not giving up –But Lille have had a terrible start to the season after Bielsa’s arrival and are on a five-match winless run since beating Nantes in their opening game.The Argentinian coach abruptly resigned as Marseille coach after their first game of the season in 2015, but vehemently insisted there would be no repeat at the Stade Pierre-Mauroy.“I will not resign, I will not give up for any reason,” the enigmatic Bielsa said.“The only way for me to stop working here is for me to be dismissed from office, which does not depend on me.“There is absolutely no possibility that I will give up my post.”On Sunday, Marseille host Toulouse hoping to build on back-to-back wins over Amiens last weekend and against Konyaspor in the Europa League.OM though have been charged by UEFA for crowd trouble during the 1-0 victory in their group-stage opener, after objects were thrown on the pitch and fireworks were let off in the stands.Bordeaux, one of only two remaining unbeaten sides along with PSG, play a home match against Guingamp, while third-placed Saint-Etienne face Rennes.Fixtures (all times GMT)FridayNice v Angers (1700), Lille v Monaco (1845)SaturdayMontpellier v Paris Saint-Germain (1500), Bordeaux v Guingamp, Caen v Amiens, Lyon v Dijon, Metz v Troyes (all 1800)SundaySaint-Etienne v Rennes (1300), Strasbourg v Nantes (1500), Marseille v Toulouse (1900)0Shares0000(Visited 2 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Paris Saint-Germain’s Neymar and Edinson Cavani attend a training session in Saint-Germain-en-Laye © AFP / FRANCK FIFEPARIS, France, Sep 22 – Paris Saint-Germain coach Unai Emery refused to name his first-choice penalty taker on Thursday, after Neymar and Edinson Cavani’s apparent falling out against Lyon last week.The Ligue 1 leaders travel to Montpellier on Saturday looking to make it seven straights wins to kick off the season, after smashing spending records in the close season to compile the fearsome ‘MCN’ front line of Neymar, Cavani and Kylian Mbappe.last_img read more

France confirm unchanged World Cup squad

first_imgSeveral top stars failed to make the cut at all, with Manchester United’s Anthony Martial, Arsenal’s Alexandre Lacazette and Real Madrid’s Karim Benzema all omitted from the 23.23-man squadGoalkeepers: Hugo Lloris (Tottenham Hotspur/ENG), Steve Mandanda (Marseille), Alphonse Areola (Paris Saint-Germain)Defenders: Lucas Hernandez (Atletico Madrid/ESP), Presnel Kimpembe (Paris Saint-Germain), Benjamin Mendy (Manchester City/ENG), Benjamin Pavard (Stuttgart/GER), Adil Rami (Marseille), Djibril Sidibe (Monaco), Samuel Umtiti (Barcelona/ESP), Raphael Varane (Real Madrid/ESP)Midfielders: N’Golo Kante (Chelsea/ENG), Blaise Matuidi (Juventus/ITA), Steven N’Zonzi (Sevilla/ESP), Paul Pogba (Manchester United/ENG), Corentin Tolisso (Bayern Munich/GER)Forwards: Ousmane Dembele (Barcelona/ESP), Nabil Fekir (Lyon), Olivier Giroud (Chelsea/ENG), Antoine Griezmann (Atletico Madrid/ESP), Thomas Lemar (Monaco), Kylian Mbappe (Paris Saint-Germain), Florian Thauvin (Marseille)0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000France coach Didier Deschamps fixed on his final World Cup 23 early, which meant the squad could pose for the cameras on May 30. © AFP / FRANCK FIFEPARIS, France, Jun 4 – France formally submitted their 23-man squad for the World Cup on Monday, making no changes from the group named in mid-May.None of the original 23 have been replaced by anyone on Didier Deschamps’ stand by list.last_img read more

Sadio Mane sends 300 Liverpool shirts to home village

first_imgIn 2005 a 13-year-old Mane found himself in a similar position as the village turned out to watch Liverpool’s famous 2005 Champions League final victory over AC Milan and the 26-year-old hopes to be able to return to Bambali, where his family still live, with a winner’s medal.“If you had said then I would be playing the final I would say it is something incredible in my life. Hopefully we are going to win,” he said. “My family still live in the village. My mum and my uncle. They are all going to be watching.“There are 2,000 in the village. I bought 300 Liverpool jerseys to send to the people in the village, so the fans can wear to watch the final.”Mane has clear memories of the 2005 final, when Liverpool battled back from 3-0 down to beat Milan.“I remember AC Milan v Liverpool. Three-nil down, then 3-3 and penalties. This was a big memory for me,” Mane said. “I was watching in my village. I was not supporting Liverpool at this time. I was a Barcelona fan.”“I remember being with my friend, a big friend of mine, and at 3-0 down he was completely out.“He stopped watching until the end and ran like crazy to get away. Then he came back at the end and he could not believe (it).”Mane has spoken to his friend ahead of the final in Kiev.“He is a big Liverpool fan. He is still in Senegal. He asked me that this time do not be 3-0 down,” he said.0Shares0000(Visited 2 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Sadio Mane is targeting Champions League glory with Liverpool © AFP/File / Isabella BONOTTOLONDON, United Kingdom, May 25 – Sadio Mane has sent 300 Liverpool shirts to his home village in Senegal for fans to wear during Saturday’s Champions League final against Real Madrid.The Liverpool forward — part of a fearsome front line alongside Mohamed Salah and Roberto Firmino — expects Bambali to grind to a halt as the 2,000 inhabitants all stop to watch him play in the European showpiece.last_img read more

`Guys and Dolls’ choreographer Kidd dies of cancer

first_imgMichael Kidd, the award-winning choreographer of exuberant dance numbers for Broadway shows like “Finian’s Rainbow” and “Guys and Dolls” and Hollywood musicals including “The Band Wagon” and “Seven Brides for Seven Brothers,” died on Sunday at his home in Los Angeles. The cause was cancer, said his nephew Robert Greenwald. Biographical sources generally give Kidd’s age as 88, but Greenwald said his uncle was actually 92. On Broadway, Kidd won five Tony Awards: for “Finian’s Rainbow” in 1947, “Guys and Dolls” in 1951, “Can-Can” in 1954, “Li’l Abner” in 1957, and “Destry Rides Again” in 1960. In Hollywood, he received a special Academy Award in 1996 “in recognition of his services to the art of dance in the art of the screen.” Perhaps his best-known film work was “Seven Brides for Seven Brothers,” a 1954 musical of the American frontier whose dances, which he created for ballet dancers, were not supposed to appear balletic. He had them perform what he called “work movements,” like wielding axes. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORECoach Doc Rivers a “fan” from way back of Jazz’s Jordan Clarkson“I always use real-life gestures, and most of my dancing is based on real life,” Kidd said in an interview. He defined his choreography as “human behavior and people’s manners, stylized into musical rhythmic forms.” His initial effort as a Broadway choreographer was “Finian’s Rainbow,” the Burton Lane-E.Y. Harburg fantasy that mixed social significance with an oversize leprechaun. It brought Kidd the first of his five Tony Awards. His next few musicals did not fare as well. But he hit the jackpot later in 1950 when Frank Loesser’s “Guys and Dolls,” one of the theater’s greatest musicals, opened on Broadway. It brought Kidd his second Tony, based on his choreography for the nightclub numbers “Bushel and a Peck” and “Take Back Your Mink,” the “Luck Be a Lady” crap game in a sewer, and the Havana nightclub dancing duel and brawl. Then he was lured to Hollywood. His first film as choreographer was the 1952 adaptation of the Frank Loesser hit Broadway musical “Where’s Charley?” starring Ray Bolger in a repeat of his Broadway role. Kidd’s first big success in films came with the Fred Astaire musical “The Band Wagon” in 1953. The film, with songs by Howard Dietz and Arthur Schwartz, included the now-famous “Girl Hunt Ballet” with Astaire and Cyd Charisse, a spoof on the hard-boiled private eye stories of Mickey Spillane, and the lyrical “Dancing in the Dark,” in which Astaire courts Charisse in Central Park. In the 1970s and `80s, Kidd choreographed and directed television specials. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img

Schmaus takes reins at Focus

first_imgThe co-producer of “Brokeback Mountain” was named on Wednesday chief executive officer of Focus Features, the specialty film division of Universal Pictures. James Schamus, previously co-president of Focus, will now have responsibility for all aspects of the art house unit as well as Focus Features International and Universal’s Rogue Pictures label. Andrew Karpen, formerly chief operating officer, will assume the title of president of Focus, which last year released “Brokeback,” “The Constant Gardener,” “Pride & Prejudice” and “Broken Flowers.” Previous noteworthy releases also include “The Pianist,” “Lost in Translation,” “Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind,” and “The Motorcycle Diaries.” AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREBasketball roundup: Sierra Canyon, Birmingham set to face off in tournament quarterfinalsPrior to Focus, Schamus was co-president of the independent film production company Good Machine, which he co-founded in 1991. He received Academy Award nominations in the Best Adapted Screenplay and Best Original Song categories for his work on Ang Lee’s “Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.” Schamus had co-founded Focus with David Linde four years ago and the two were co-presidents until Linde was promoted in March to co-chairman of Universal Pictures. “As James’ friend and business partner since 1997, I know first-hand how his business acumen and formidable creative talents combine to make him an outstanding studio head,” Linde stated. Linde had also been president of Rogue and the vacancy left by his promotion will be filled by Karpen and Andrew Rona, who will serve as co-presidents. Rona had been Rogue’s president of production since last August. “These promotions only confirm what we’ve long known; that under James’ leadership, Focus and Rogue will continue the extraordinary success and growth that he and David put in motion – and that the key to that success is the empowerment of the tremendous executive team already in place,” Universal Pictures Chairman Marc Shmuger said in a statement from the Cannes Film Festival in France. greg.hernandez@dailynews.com (818)713-3758160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more

West Ham and Southampton set for summer transfer scrap over Danish striker

first_img Martin Braithwaite [right] is a wanted man 1 West Ham and Southampton are tracking Toulouse striker Martin Braithwaite.According to L’Equipe, the Premier League pair have been impressed by the 25-year-old, who can operate anywhere across the front three.He scored 11 goals in 34 Ligue 1 outings for Toulouse this season and it has been suggested that he will be sold this summer with his contract expiring in 2019.The French club would like to keep the Dane and tie him down to a longer deal, but it is thought that a bid of around £8m will be enough to convince them to sell.That figure will not put off either West Ham or Southampton, who are both expected to reinforce their forward lines when the summer transfer window opens.last_img

Warriors end losing streak as Oilers down Rhinos in NBL

first_imgPemba Warriors (red) had gone four games without victory (file photo)FUBA National Basketball LeagueYMCA Court, WandegeyaSunday, 12-08-2018-Charging Rhino 64-96 City Oilers-Sharing Youth 59-84 Pemba WarriorsTwo time National Basketball League champions Pemba Warriors returned to winning ways on Sunday afternoon with a 84-59 victory over Sharing youth in the NBL.Warriors had gone four games in a row, without a single victory – The side had lost to Power, KCCA, Oilers and KIU.The victory is the 10th for Ronnie Mutebi’s charges from 18 league attempts this season.In a dominant victory that saw Warriors shoot 29-56 from the field, they won all four quarters 11-19, 13-22, 18-24 and 17-19.Syrus Kiviiri led the Kyambogo based side with 18 points. Amisi Saidi had a double double of 16 points and 10 rebounds, Gaus Muhamba added 10 points.Caesar Kizito who was playing against his former masters, shot 5-16 on the field to reach 12 points. Stephen Otoa contributed 10 points, in a losing effort.The loss, was Raymond Muhumuza’s Nsambya based team 12th for the season.Next for Warriors are games against Our Saviour, Rhino, Ndejje and JKL Dolphins.In the first game of the day, City Oilers whipped Charging Rhino 64-96. James Okello scored 22 points and 17 rebounds, Landry Ndikumana and Jimmy Enabu added 18 points each.Jjuuko Daniel and Ivan Muhwezi scored 10 each for Charging Rhinos.The other game played on Saturday saw Our Saviour loose 56-76 to Ndejje University Angels.Women:-Javon Lady Phenoms 53-52 A1 Challenge-JKL Lady Dolphins 47-46 Nkumba Lady MarinesSaturday results in the NBL:Women:-Nkumba Lady Marines 92-62 UMU Ravens-Angels 71-77 KCCA Leopards-JKL Lady Dolphins 55-52 UCU Lady CanonsMen:-KCCA Panthers 70-75 Sharing Youth-UPDF Tomahawks 44-85 City OilersComments Tags: city oilersFUBA NBL 2018Pemba Warriorslast_img read more

Weather warning for Donegal tonight ahead of “severe frost”

first_imgMet Éireann has issued a weather warning for Donegal and 21 other counties as temperatures are forecast to drop to very cold lows tonight.Temperatures will reach as low as -4 degrees Celcius, bringing a “widespread severe frost with the risk of icy patches.”The Status Yellow weather warning will be in place from 8pm Sunday night to 9am on Monday morning. The Met Eireann report for Ulster this Sunday night says: “It will be dry and very cold tonight with some clear spells. A widespread, sharp frost will develop with lowest temperatures of +1 to -4 degrees, coldest inland. Some mist and fog patches may also form overnight in light, variable or easterly winds.”Donegal County Council gritters will be out on all main routes in the county from 7pm.The Donegal gritting route index as follows:06: Inishowen West04: Inishowen South01: National Primary North02: National Primary Central03: National Primary South07: Milford South08: Milford North09: Cill Ulta East10: Cill Ulta West11: Na Rosa12: Binswilly13: Stranorlar North14: Stranorlar East15: Stranorlar West16: Donegal West17: Donegal North18: Donegal South19: Donegal National Secondary05: Inishowen EastBT: Buncrana TownLT: Letterkenny TownWeather warning for Donegal tonight ahead of “severe frost” was last modified: November 18th, 2019 by Rachel McLaughlinShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more