Columbus lawmaker wants refunds for offended Colts fans

first_imgColumbus, In. — (Nicole Darrah-Fox News)Indianapolis football fans who want their money back when Colts players kneel during the playing of the national anthem could soon get their way — if legislation filed this week by a state lawmaker is approved.Republican Rep. Milo Smith, who represents the Columbus area, told the Indianapolis Star kneeling during the national anthem is disrespectful to the government, and when he witnessed it himself at a game in September, “it didn’t sit right with me.”“To me when they take a knee during the national anthem, it’s not respecting the national anthem or our country,” Smith told the news outlet. “Our government isn’t perfect, but it’s still the best country in the world and I think we need to be respectful of it.”Smith explained his proposed bill wouldn’t be breaking any laws as it wouldn’t stop players from kneeling, but would require the Colts to refund fans who wanted their money back. He also explained it wouldn’t require the team to refund sports fans if members of the opposing team were to kneel during The Star-Spangled Banner.The conservative legislator’s proposal comes months after Vice President Mike Pence walked out of a Colts game against the San Francisco 49ers on Oct. 8 after opposing team players knelt during the anthem.Pence tweeted soon after he “will not dignify any event that disrespects our soldiers, our Flag, or our National Anthem.”“I left today’s Colts game because @POTUS and I will not dignify any event that disrespects our soldiers, our Flag, or our National Anthem.”Earlier this month, a New Orleans Saints season ticket holder filed a lawsuit in Louisiana judicial district court claiming an alleged demonstration during the team’s Sept. 17 home game against the New England Patriots created an angry atmosphere that’s since made his tickets unusable.The fan is seeking attorney’s fees and a refund for his tickets, which The New Orleans Advocate reported cost around $8,000.last_img read more

Brazil’s Formiga to Become Oldest Player in Women’s World Cup

first_imgIf Formiga plays in France, she will also become the oldest to appear in a women’s World Cup.In the men’s tournament, three players have played at five World Cups – Mexico’s Rafael Marquez and Antonio Carbajal and Germany’s Lothar Matthaus.Formiga, whose first World Cup finals appearance came in 1995 as a 17-year-old, will be joined by several other well-known faces in the Brazil squad, including Marta, the six-times World Player of the year.Marta is the top scorer in the history of the women’s World Cup with 15 goals.Copa America champions Brazil have been drawn in Group C along with Jamaica, Italy and Australia with the tournament starting on June 7.Although they have appeared in all seven Women’s World Cup tournaments, the South Americans have yet to lift the trophy, with their best performance coming as runners-up to Germany in China in 2007.They are also heading to France under a cloud, having lost their last nine games, their worst-ever run.Brazil are 10th in the world rankings, their lowest position since the ranking system began.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram Brazil’s 41-year-old international Formiga will become the first footballer to participate in seven World Cups.The midfielder was named in the squad for the women’s tournament in France.The Paris St Germain star shares the record of six World Cups with Homare Sawa, who led Japan’s women to their World Cup triumph in 2011. Formiga will become the oldest player to appear in a women’s World Cup in Junelast_img read more