McKinstry names first Cranes squad, no local based player

first_imgMcKinstry was named Cranes coach early this week. (PHOTO/Courtesy)International Friendly Ethiopia vs Uganda Bahrdar Stadium, BahrdarSunday, 13-10-2019 @4pmNew Uganda Cranes head coach Johnathan McKinstry has named his first Uganda Cranes squad for the upcoming international friendly window.The North Irishman who was named Cranes coach on Monday has summoned a total of 20 players that he is planning to use in his first engagement.Uganda is set to take on Ethiopia in a friendly scheduled for Sunday-October 13th in Bahrdar.Surprisingly, the former Rwanda national team tactician has not named any local based player for the match.It is understood that he first wants to access the professionals and will then look at the locals as they prepare for the upcoming CHAN 2020 qualifiers return leg latter this month.The summoned squad feature 18 players who participated at the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations in Egypt.McKinstry has called up to goal keepers including captain Denis Onyango. The other is Guinea based custodian Robert Odongkara who features for Horoya AC.Usual suspect Salim Jamal has been left out of the team.Only Milton Karisa and Denis based Moses Opondo have been included in the team and were not part of AFCON 2019.Karisa was part of those dropped in the build up for the tournament that saw Uganda eliminated at the round of 16 while Opondo has been away from the national team for a while.The team will assemble in Addis Ababa and will be joined by McKinstry and the backroom staff from Kampala.The summoned squad GoalkeepersDenis Onyango (Mamelodi Sundowns, South Africa), Robert Odongkara (Horoya AC, Guinea)DefendersBevis Mugabi (Motherwell, Scotland), Denis Timothy Awany (FC Ashdod, Israel), Ronald Mukiibi Ddungu (FK Ostesunds, Sweden), Hassan Wasswa Mawanda (Jeddah FC, Saudi Arabia), Joseph Ochaya (TP Mazembe), Isaac Muleme (TP Mazembe), Nico Wakiro Wadada (Azam, Tanzania)MidfieldersMichael Azira (Chicago Fire, USA), Allan Kyambadde (El Gouna, Egypt), Tadeo Lwanga (Tanta, Egypt), Khalid Aucho (El Meskir, Egypt), Abdu Lumala (Pyramids, Egypt), Moses Opondo (FC Odense, Denmark), William Luwagga Kizito (Shakhter Karagandy, Kazakhstan), Milton Karisa (Oujda, Egypt)StrikersPatrick Henry Kaddu (RS Berkhane, Egypt), Derrick Nsibambi (Smouha), Emmanuel Arnold Okwi (Al Ittihad, Egypt)Comments Tags: Denis OnyangoEthiopiaJohnathan McKinstryMilton KarisaMoses OpondoRobert OdongkaraSalim JamaltopUganda Craneslast_img read more

Kasganj police chief transferred

first_imgThree days after communal violence broke out on Republic Day at Kasganj in western Uttar Pradesh, the Yogi Adityanath government on Monday sacked the district police chief for negligence.Superintendent of Police Sunil Kumar Singh has been transferred to the police training school in Meerut and Piyush Srivastava, SP of the training school, to Kasganj.The police have so far lodged a total of five FIRs in the incident, which broke out during an unauthorised bike rally by a group of youths.Chandan Gupta, 20, was shot dead while several others were injured in the violence.According to data of the district police, a total of 112 persons have been arrested so far. Of these 31 were named in the FIRs.”Don’t spit at the sky”Government spokesperson and Minister Sidharth Nath Singh hit out at the Samajwadi Party (SP) and the Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) for blaming the ruling BJP for the incident. “When the SP and the BSP target us, if you point one finger, two point right back at you. One should not spit at the sky, Akhilesh ji should keep in mind that the spit will fall on him,” Mr. Singh said in Varanasi.He said the Opposition, especially the SP, prompted only one ideology when it was it power. “The introduction of appeasement they gave, we all know about it. Jobs and posts were created for one specific caste and no FIRs could be lodged against a specific religious community,” he said.SP chief Akhilesh Yadav had criticised the BJP government for ”failing” to see through the January 26 function peacefully. “If there is anyone responsible for the incident, it is the government. I feel the government wants to create fear and reap benefit out of it,” Mr. Yadav said.last_img read more

Jallikattu ban: There can be exemptions, but should be done in due process, says Kanhaiya

first_imgIn an exclusive interview with India Today, student leader Kanhaiya Kumar spoke extensively about politics, Tamil Nadu culture and the much-debated jallikattu festival. When asked about his political aspirations and on becoming the prime minister the student leader said that the decision lies with the people of the country.”I will say the same thing, who will be the prime minister of the country, that will be decided by the people. it does not happen if an individual wishes to be. Don’t ask me this question, ask the people in this country,” he told India Today.One being asked about the issue of parallel media, parallel politics and growing support for him, he said that in politics one should not aim at winning elections and that it should be about social transformation.”We do not have a political movement these days. We need to empower the country by bringing an organic link and try to enhance what is written as what is needed in politics, we are looking at bringing into reality,” said Kumar.ON JALLIKATTU”In a democracy if the judiciary has given its decision, we can appeal against the judiciary, and if there is a sentiment of the people and they are getting into the streets, then there is something. That does not mean, we can take any extra-constitutional measure for any issue. We have sentiments associated with it, we also have the courts with us, obviously the court will take into the consideration the sentiments of the people too,” said Kumar.advertisementWhen asked if the court can change its stand towards the sport since it has come down to Tamil pride, he said that it could definitely change.”It could definitely change for example: there is a dress code or a uniform, if you belong to a particular community, you get an exemption, in the same way if you go to the bank and they write that you cannot carry arms, but if you belong to the Sikh community, you can carry a “weapon” as part of your dress code, there is an exemption there. So there can be exemptions, but it should be done in due process,” he said.Although Kumar did not state if he is in favour of the ban or not, Kumar said that he is with the people of the country and lay emphasis on the rules of PETA and the court’s decision.”According to procedure, there is are rules of PETA and the court has taken a decision , that decision is against the sentiment of the people. democracy has the option bringing both the parties to discuss about the issue and we should look at that procedure. If there is mass upsurge, then definitely court will take cognizance and some understanding can be reached. But people should not resort to extra constitutional measures,” he said.ON CRIMES AGAINST WOMENWhen asked if the government can bring such instances under control, he said that the government has to bring them under control at all cost.”Be it any government, it is their responsibility to take care of the safety of the people, and as a citizen I will keep saying, it is our responsibility that if the government does not listen to the concerns of people, then we will have to take to the streets,”said Kanhaiya.While talking about the inclusion of youth in politics, he said that youngsters at present are reduced to mere vote banks. He said that students are not being made part of the manifesto.Also read:Congress letter bomb: Manmohan called jallikattu ‘cruel’ in 2015, party calls protest legitimate now All you need to know about Jallikattu DMK calls statewide rail roko agitation tomorrow in Tamil Nadu in favour of jallikattulast_img read more

Joao Mario ‘not happy’ but yet to push for move

first_imgTransfers Man Utd target Joao Mario ‘not happy’ but yet to push for Inter exit Chris Burton 01:56 12/30/17 FacebookTwitterRedditcopy Comments(0) Joao Mario Inter Getty Images Transfers Manchester United Internazionale Serie A Premier League Luciano Spalletti is prepared to sanction moves during the winter window, but will only part with players that are no longer committed to his club Joao Mario is “not happy” with his situation at Inter, admits Luciano Spalletti, but is yet to request a transfer amid links to Manchester United.The Portugal international moved to the San Siro on the back of European Championship glory in 2016.The 24-year-old midfielder has struggled to produce his best in Italy, with little return offered on a €40 million fee. Article continues below Editors’ Picks Lyon treble & England heartbreak: The full story behind Lucy Bronze’s dramatic 2019 Liverpool v Man City is now the league’s biggest rivalry and the bitterness is growing Megan Rapinoe: Born & brilliant in the U.S.A. A Liverpool legend in the making: Behind Virgil van Dijk’s remarkable rise to world’s best player It has been suggested that he could seek another switch in January, with clubs across Europe expressing an interest, but Spalletti claims to have been offered no indication that will be the case.The Inter boss told reporters: “As for Joao Mario, he’s a simple lad to understand, he has a wonderful attitude in attending training and in the dressing room. When I’ve talked to him he didn’t tell me anything strange.“There can be a lot of rumours about a player, they can be true or false but he’s a good lad from a professional point of view.Luciano Spalletti Inter“I’m sorry that there were a couple of balls he could have scored from and he didn’t take those chances, if you think about leaving you lose a bit of attention in those situations.“It’s inevitable in that case you lose your motivation for results, application makes the difference.“So he’s not happy now, but he’s trained well and all I care about is that he’s professional every day and he’s doing that.“If I saw a blatant bad attitude it’s clear we’d address that problem straight away, because I’d be the first to highlight it.”Regardless of the rumours surrounding Joao Mario and any one else at the club, Spalletti has warned those planning a winter raid on Inter that the club will not be forced into selling any player they wish to keep.He added: “A player will leave if we decide he leaves, otherwise he’ll stay and get his head down for two games, because if he thinks about the deadline he’s wasting his own time.“In January it’s right that those who leave will be the ones we say, not those who want to leave.”last_img read more